Pioneer HTP-GS1 Surround sound install -Guidance needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Forbez, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Forbez

Forbez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Guys, I hope you can help me. Firstly, I apologise if I have posted in the wrong section, if i have, could someone move it please.

Any whoo! Onto the post..... I have the following
    Samsung PS42Q96HD Plasma TV
    Sky+ (Thomson box)
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    And a Pioneer HTP-GS1 5.1 surround sound system

I'm having problems in getting the surround sound to work, when using the PS3.
    I've managed to get the TV working on surround sound, by connecting the Sky+ to the Surround sound, via Optical Output.
    The Xbox is also via optical output, and these both work.

The PS3 is also conncted to the Surround sound via optical output, but this will not work. Picture is fine, but no sound through the Surround.
    I have connected the PS3, to the TV via a HDMI, and I have setup the PS3 to output the sound as 5.1 Dolby, but still nope.

Here is the back of the surround unit, with the inputs.
    I have the Xbox optical for the xbox
    Digital optical for the PS3
    And the Sky+ is connected via Optical to Coaxial Digital Audio Convertor, then to the input DVD/DVR Coaxial, connection. (next to the two optical input)
    [​IMG]

If anyone can make any suggestions of how to resolve the problem of the silent PS3, please let me know.
    I'm going to try swapping the inputs on the Surround Sound, to see if its a faulty input, But i dont believe it is, as this seemed to work before I tried to connect the TV.

If anyone has any questions that, I haven't already answered, please ask and i will do my best to answer it, but please bear with my as I'm still on the steep uphill learning curve.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully pointing my in the right diretion

All the best

Tom

2. smallclanger

smallclanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    Hi Tom,

I don't know anything about the PS3 but when I connected my Pioneer to my xbox I had a worry for a few minutes as it also was silent, until I remembered to look in the 360's sound settings to enable digital 5.1 sound! Have you checked this setting on the PS3? Otherwise why not try swapping the optical input with the 360 to see if it works.

3. Forbez

Forbez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I've setup the Xbox, and the PS3 now and they work, but the TV doesnt seem to work very well.
    Not a real issue, as DVDs, and Bluray, will be played through Xbox and PS3 respectively, so the sound is coming from them.

But i'd like the tv to be surround sound to, but I'm not going to spend loads for it.

4. smallclanger

smallclanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    When you say TV , you mean Sky+ through the optical -> coax converter? Are you getting any sound? Sk+ also has a sound setting