Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pioneer horizontal stability problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gpward, Dec 6, 2004.

1. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have a Pioneer DVR-420H which is connected between an NTL set-top-box (a brand-new Samsung branded one) and a 2-year-old JVC television. The connections to both are RGB via SCART. When the Pioneer is in standby, it passes through the RGB from the NTL box to the TV and all is well. However, when the Pioneer is "on" (even when it isn't recording) there appears to be a problem with horizontal stability.

The sympoms are as follows: every few minutes, the whole picture creeps to the right by a small amount (about 5% of its width) over a couple of seconds, then jerks back to the correct position. Recordings also have this problem, which I have stepped through one frame at a time to verify the above description.

Has anyone else seen/fixed this problem with any AV equipment (not just the DVR-420H)?

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    This sounds like the sort of effect that was sometimes seen on broadcast PAL composite vtrs when the sync pulses and colour subcarrier were not phase locked.
    The picture would move a distance equivalent to one cycle of subcarrier and then jump back and start again.

Could be just a coincidence though as I can't see any reason why this should be happenning with your setup especially if RGB is used throughout. It may be worth checking again that the NTL box is definitely setup for RGB.
    My guess would be that there is something odd about the composite output from the set top box which the DVD recorder doesn't like.

3. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your reply. The NTL box is set to output RGB, according to its menu settings. The "creep to the right" isn't continuous: it just lasts a few seconds then the picture jerks back to the left.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is the 420 set to RGB for video in and out?

If it isn't set to RGB video out, you will get RGB passed through when it's in standby, but as soon as you turn the 420 on the internal processors will intercept the input and convert it to the specified output. So if it is set to Composite ('Video' in Initial Setup - manual page 102) there will be no RGB to the TV.
    The TV won't mind because it will just take the composite signal in the absence of the RGB.
    Your TV may tell you which mode it is in, either on screen when you select the AV input, or in the menu system.

5. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it definitely is. And the problem doesn't occur when powering the Pioneer on and off, it occurs only when the Pioneer is "on", every few minutes.

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I didn't mean it would happen during power on and off - I meant all the time the power is on. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Are you sure the TV scart accepts RGB? If not it will use composite which is always availbale alongside RGB in the scart.

Another guy and I have both noticed one characterstic of a passthrough RGB signal. When you turn the 420 off, the TV flashes a couple of times and momentarily displays a red-only image (i.e. no blue or green components). We both have Sony TVs, but if it is something to do with the scart switching from going through the 420 processor to going direct from scart to scart then it might happen on othe makes of TV too.

7. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.
    Yes, it does that too (for a few seconds each time the Pioneer is powered down). But that's not a problem, whereas the horizontal stability problem is annoying. I'd really like to know whether any other Pioneer 220/320/420/520/720 owners have seen it.