1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer HDMI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by anders260, Jan 2, 2004.

1. anders260

anders260

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On avsforum.com they have an discussion regarding transfer of data in a hdmi cabel, a person claims that i.e if you have an pioneer 868 dvd connected to a pioneer 434 the signal goes from digital to analog then back to digital d/a/d. can that be right???

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
  3. anders260

anders260

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry missed that

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Would you care to post the URL to the thread on the other forum as I would like to understand the issue before I contact Pioneer?

5. anders260

anders260

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks.

7. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If this is true would it bother too much those that have already got the Plasma and are happy with the quality.

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Damn right it would for several reasons.

1. I went for an all Pioneer set-up over other manufacturers purely because of HDMI.
    2. The re-sale value of these 1st gen' units will be severely affected if there is an analogue conversion stage.
    3. Pioneer have knowingly mislead purchasers by continuing to market the products as being all digital and they are also guilty of false advertising.

I've just been on the phone to Pioneer UK and the person I spoke to assured me there was no analogue conversion in the HDMI path of the new 434 and 504 plasmas.
    I asked him if Pioneer would be willing to put that in writing and he asked me to write to Pioneer UK and they will forward it to the European HQ for a written response.

I would suggest that all other owners of 434/504 panels do the same.

9. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Assuming that the information posted on AVS is actually correct; this is no means certain as yet.

The question is how much difference does it really make? are you happy with the PQ via HDMI, did you see an improvement over a progressive component feed, do you see benefits from the T-REX scaller in the 868 via HDMI ?
    If the answer is yes then why worry.
    If the concern is second hand values, well just look at current second hand market, will a buyer really be worried about the above. Besides the existing HDMI is not fully up to spec anyway as yet, the next gen will have full support for DVD-A, SACD, rather than relying on i-Link, is this any bigger of a deal ? :devil:

But if this is true: Is it a panel issue or something else ?
    [Speculation mode well an truly on]

Seems to me that there are only two places where an issue could reside that forced Pio to do another D/A -> A/D conversion.

Firstly the Panel itself or the Media box

Lets consider the media box for a moment.
    The US and UK box's are subtly different in design and implementation, with the US box having an additional HDMI and component in. are there other differences in the media box that may make the statement about additional DA etc relevant in the US but not the UK ?

However the issue that keeps picking at me is that of the inability on the UK box to utilise the Component in and the HDMI input simultaneously. IS this the same with the US box ?
    If so could this be an indication of what's potentially happening here ?
    Despite the block diagram in the Pio pdf's that show the component inputs going through an A/D stage, if there was to have been a compatibility issue of some kind with the HDMI input going directly to the "digital selector" could Pio have opted to put the HDMI input through another A/D conversion, possibly using the same input as the component feed to resolve the issue ?

Could this explain the supposed additional A/D step and the inability to use each input simultaneously without having to reselect each input from the menu ?

I don’t really have any theories currently about how the panel itself may have an impact on the subject.

This may have been a lot more acceptable solution that launching flagship PDP and DVD players that had incompatible HDMI interfaces. How upset would buyers have been to receive hardware with an HDMI connector that they could not use at all ? Or be waiting for an upgrade that never came?

[Speculation mode off]

Does this make any potential sense or am I off with the cuckoos?
    [no need to answer that BTW]

:D :D

10. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    For me it comes down to one issue and one issue only.
    I bought the 868/504 combo purely because of HDMI.
    If HDMI didn't exist on these products I would probably have gone for an MXE panel or even Panasonic.
    So regardless whether the PQ is superb/excellent/stunning, I want what I paid for and what Pioneer are promoting in their marketing and sales blurb.

11. Ratoban

Ratoban

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good call, Brogan. I am watching the situation as like many others i am waiting for delivery of the 868, bought purely because of the HDMI link and promised performance.
    Although generally, reading some of the posts here, not all are convinced yet of its improvement over dearer dvd players through component / progressive, but given time hopefully it will prove itself.
    Rob.

12. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The specific bit of what Stacey Spears said, which makes this a very big issue is:

" FYI - the current gen Pioneer Plasma with HDMI converts to analog and then back to digital before display, so you are are not seeing how good HDMI / DVI is yet."