1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer HDMI / Panasonic & Scaler queries

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PhilCTTE, Dec 4, 2003.

1. PhilCTTE

Aug 28, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Okay, I've currently got the Panasonic non HD TH-42PW6 which I'm routing a DVI connection from my Progressive scan module in a TAG DVD player. Which all video sources are linked. The Panasonic is not accepting PAL signals via DVI ( as previously reported). At the moment I'm using a component connection for this. Which rather defeats the object of going DVI as my assumption is that any processing would be better achieved in the TAG PSM module rather than sending an analogue signal to be converted in the Panasonic. I'll be quiet happy with the Panasonic if this DVI issue is resolved and as long as I never want to use a video scaler. Question is how much would a decent scaler cost that would sit a alongside the PSM module. And no I cant afford the VSM2048 TAG scaler with the AV192R. Eventually want to upgrade to a projector as well later next year.

So if I can afford a suitable scaler which works with my TAG PSM module should I opt for the Pioneer instead ?. Which I can utilise the DVI HDMI connection with suitable cable conversions.

Does the high definition Pioneer plasma only benefit from this feature if the signal is scaled to HD ? Is the picture better in SD mode to that on the Panasonic ? or does the better blacks on the Panasonic out weigh this ?.

Are there any scalers using HDMI ? or only the Pioneer HDMI equiped DVD players.

Any comments greatly appreciated. If the answers favour the Pioneer then I guess I'll have to demo the two against each other with the TAG DVD player in hand this time !!!