• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer HDMI only outputting PCM???

cwconrad78

Standard Member
Hi, I have a Pioneer upconverting dvd player. I also just purchased a new onkyo reciever. When I plug in the dvd player to the reciever via HDMI and then the reciever to the tv (also via HDMI), I have trouble getting DD/DTS signals.

Everything just says "PCM HDMI". I'm wondering if the player only passes PCM over HDMI and I need a seperate coax or optical cable to get the DD/DTS? If this is the case, is "PCM HDMI" just as good? If the original feed is DD or DTS, is the "PCM HDMI" transfering at the same bit rate? As long as it's not deteriorating the DTS/DD input sound, It wouldn't matter to me.

I'm only using two speakers anyway (front right and left high end speakers) but the fact that i'm only using two speakers would not make a difference on the amp interpreting DD or DTS because i have tried a DD 2.0 track off of a LOST DVD and still no luck. IT says "PCM HDMI". Even if I change the audio input mode from "auto" and manually select DTS. When I do this, I get no sound at all even though I have a DTS movie in the player and have selected "DTS" from the movie's audio setup menu.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

deckingman

Hi,

Someone much more knowledgeable than me will probably give you a better answer. In the mean time, I think you need to set the HDMI output on the player to "auto". Then dts etc will be decoded according to whatever format the disc is. However, it may still be that the data is sent as linear pcm - sorry, not sure.

CoolHands

In your dvd player menu you need to select the audio settings.

Then change it to 'bitstream' or 'digital' or similar. (i.e. not PCM)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom