1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer HDE updates!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Joe Fernand, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello all

Got a few snippets of info today that may answer some questions recently posed in various threads.

The Pioneer PDP-433HDE and PDP-503HDE have both had a bit of a mid life update/upgrade.

The 'revised' units are already shipping and as I've not had one through as yet I'm not sure if they are marked up as such on the outer boxes or not!

Pioneer have ceased to rely on the Sharp sourced and manufactured external tuner box (R03) and have now produced there own Media Box - it appears to have all of the same features and specifications including the inability to receive a progressive Scan signal from a PAL DVD player.

The only NEW feature of the system being an all new aluminium remote control which is supposed to be more intuitive and user friendly (aren't they all!).

For those holding off for an HDE PlasmaTV that is PAL Progressive compatible you are going to have to wait until October/November 2003 before we will see such a beast.

Hope this info is helpful to someone.

Joe

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Is this something that us HDE owners of only a few weeks should be worried about in terms of is it any better than what we have now ?

Would there be any point in finding out about changing tuner box ? as I guess the panel itself would be the same.

Any more details welcomed.

Cheers, Lee

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Lee

No I'd not get in a stew over this.

As far as I can tell Pioneer were not happy early on in the life of the HDE with the number of units that were being returned because of overheating problems (this issue was sorted long ago) and took the decision not to rely on a third party in future and introduce an 'In House' Media Box ASAP.

Pioneer have a fairly long life cycle for Plasma products so its not unusual for some mid life changes along the way.

I'd stick with your R03 - its had its teething problems sorted long time ago :)

Joe

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the prompt reply Joe...I can sleep easy now :D

Cheers, Lee