1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer HDE Questions: Using without media box

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Geeseman, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I've read in a few forums that the HDE media box alters VGA signals that are inputted from devices before displaying them on the screen.
    While the media box is a great idea, is there any advantage, or is it possible, to input VGA directly to the HDE panel without using the media box?
    The reason I ask is that I understand that the MXE has better Picture quality, but It may be because of the signal modification and scaling that the media box does for the HDE.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for you time.:)

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    Geeseman

? The VGA input modifies signals - in what way I wonder?

The R03 Media Box modifies every signal that passes through it - like pretty much every bit of electronics its got its 'fingerprint'.

I'm sure it's technically possible to add a 2 In 1 out DVI selector between the Media Box and the Displays and plug a PC DVI into the second DVI input and get images from both sources - though it seems to be a fairly complex workaround for the benefits.

The DVI input will not accept an Analogue VGA input and you still require that the R03 Media Box is connected to your display by the command cable to enable you to use the IR and to control the Display (its 'brain' is in the R03).

Best workaround I can think of is to purchase an MXE which has VGA and DVI and a better video processor than the HDE.

Best regards

Joe

PS The VGA input on the HDE is possibly the 'cleanest' of all the inputs - though do bear in mind that your VGA signal will have to be set to 1024x768 or the display will have to rescale anyway!

3. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe.
    I saw the MXE and HDE side-by-side today at a store and I really couldn't see much of a difference between them. The MXE was a bit brighter, but it could have been because the HDE had been on display for a lot longer.
    I'm beginning to think that the HDE is the better deal. Even with the scalers available, how much better does the picture quality on the MXe get than the HDE with its normal setup?

4. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've plugged a Mac directly into my 433-HDE with DVI with the media box completely disconnected. The only remote signal it responded to was Power, but apart from a brief error message on power on, it worked fine.

If you think about it, all the other remote signals control the media box anyway.

5. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply cjdshaw.
    What connections are there on the 433HDE itself? Is it only DVI and the connection socket for the media box?
    Did you notice that the image was better without the box?

Also did you look at the MXE before buying the HDE and if so what were your thoughts?

6. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct. It's just DVI and the proprietary media box connector. I'm guessing this carries audio and remote signals.
    The quality was pretty good, but not hugely better than a well set-up VGA feed. Plus you have the disadvantage that you have to run at the plasma's native resolution (1024x768), so it's non-square pixel time. I watch a lot of DVD's and Divx through mine at 1360x768 and it scales down fine for these purposes. Fine text breaks up a bit, but you shouldn't really be using a plasma for text applications anyway, because of burn-in.
    I did compare the HDE and MXE, but I didn't really see any difference in picture quality and I wanted the extra connectivity and silver surround.

7. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean you ran them through the DVI connection?
    I'm assuming you're using a Ge-Force or Radeon card?

8. cjdshaw

cjdshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. My HTPC doesn't have a DVI output so I go VGA. With a little fiddling, I've got the quality very close to how it was through DVI, but with the advantages of different video modes.