Quantcast

Pioneer HDD DVR-630H-S

timblue1234

Standard Member
Hello everyone,
I have a slight problem with my Pioneer HD-DVD unit in that
In March our area drops the terrestrial Broadcasting.
Currently I have a new TV with the Freeview thingy built in
Model Samsung UE46B7020 which is 'by the way' An Orsum TV.

I have no idea how to get the GUIDEplus+ 'EPG' Electronic Programe Guide.
to talk to each other.

I am beginning to wonder if I will have to purchase a freeview box just for the Pioneer unit.

many thanks for your time
cheers
Tim

Gavtech

Administrator
Hello everyone,
I have a slight problem with my Pioneer HD-DVD unit in that
In March our area drops the terrestrial Broadcasting.
Currently I have a new TV with the Freeview thingy built in
Model Samsung UE46B7020 which is 'by the way' An Orsum TV.

I have no idea how to get the GUIDEplus+ 'EPG' Electronic Programe Guide.
to talk to each other.

I am beginning to wonder if I will have to purchase a freeview box just for the Pioneer unit.

many thanks for your time
cheers
Tim
Welcome to the forum Tim

Unfortunately this unit will be effectively obsoleted by broadcast changes, albeit it will still function as a recorder/ playback device.

It only has an analogue receiver and therefore the associated EPG system is designed for it accordingly, and will not work at all after the switch-off.

You would be able to feed in a signal from an external Freeview source but there can be no EPG integration or EPG information available.

timblue1234

Standard Member
Thanks for your answer Gavtech
but so that I understand you correctly.
Are you saying that due to the Analog being dropped, I will not be able to download the digital Guideplus+.

I sorry if I seam a bit dull but I do not understand
as it happens I still have the manual for this Pioneer here in front of me.
it shows me examples of it being linked up to a digital receiver and showing me channels such as itv1, itv2, bbc3,sky sport ect.... being viewed in the guideplus screen.

unfortunately this was written when tv's did not have in-built free-view receivers so it does not give me any examples of how to link the unit upto a freeview receiver when its in-built into a tv.

I could scan in a few pages of this manual if you think it would help.
or this link takes to the manual I am looking at.
Manuals for DVR-630H-S - Pioneer UK

Thank-you again
regards
Tim

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks for your answer Gavtech
but so that I understand you correctly.
Are you saying that due to the Analog being dropped, I will not be able to download the digital Guideplus+.
You can (and perhaps should) double check on this with Guideplus themsleves...but my understanding is that the data for the guideplus system comes via the so called 'host channel' - according to settings.... Which in the case of the UK can only be via ITV analogue or via Eurosport (on an external sky receiver.)

ITV has, or will cease broadcasting this data, so you cannot collect any data... about any channel - Digital or otherwise.

The Digital Guideplus system works and collects data in a completely different way and I don't think it matters whether you have a Freeview source.
As I understand it, it is completely incompatible with the old Guideplus system and it is only possible to get data from an integrated digital tuner - not an external unit.

It has to be said that Guideplus themselves have been spectacularly unhelpful about providing information during this transitional phase... so my answers are more based on reasoning rather than hard knowledge.

Having said that...I just went to fetch you a link for Guideplus and they have at long last got some info about the transitional issue.

See here.

timblue1234

Standard Member
Thank-you Gavtech
I'll investigate further with the link you sent over.
I understand a bit more, thanks to your explanation.
I hope it does not come to my Pioneer unit being obsolete as I find it's a great piece of kit.

Thanks again
Tim:thumbsup:

Top Bottom