1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer hc50s-ql

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gooner265, Dec 6, 2001.

Tags:
  1. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone have this system , i know all about the posts advising against all in ones but this is a seperate amplifier/dvd player and speakers packaged together.its so ultra slim it looks fantastic.
    i think its the dv-444/vsx-c300 and s-v70 speakers for 699.at a good 280 watts enough for my living room for starters.
    any advice please?

2. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, this will be the first system i will have and for me it had everything.No reviews as such to read so i have taken the plunge.

BTW its 699 at dixons but at www.techtronics.com its £598 and that includes free stands,and delivery,oh and its multiregion.A spotty face "herbert"told me they are not allowed to sell multiregion in shops,so that stopped that sale dead.Shame really as they did 12 months interest free.

Was not prepared to pay 699 but at the end of the day its "ears over wallet"Somthing may sound a bit better , but at what cost.

Like i said , this is my first time at this, its not an all in one , so thats a good thing, isnt it?

Anyway, when i have it up and running , i will post as to my findings,although at the moment all i have is a dxr decoder card and a toshiba sdm1201 in my pc.(mighty fine picture from it though,well i think so.)

3. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply , my wife went and bought it for me anyway for 700 and i bought some alphason stands to go with it .
    it sounds great i have played gladiator , independance day and saving private ryan and my room rocks. I think the key is it has a 110 watt active subwoofer which gives tremendous bass probably too much at times you have to adjust it for music/films
    also played the who live on dts and you certainly notice the difference.I would recommend this for anyone with limited budget and space.
    let me know what you think
    ps. would cable upgrades make a big difference?

4. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you like it, i was begining to worry seeing a few negative posts.

Mine should be here any day now,
    Cant wait!!!

chip

5. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    let me know what you think?
    by the way i see you're from kent as well
    which part's the compost heap?

6. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the medway towns.I work around the rural areas of kent, then i come home and think "why do they class this as the garden of England".Channel Tunnel rail link means digging up huge spaces,M2 widening,housing estates going up absolutely everywhere.When people ask where you live and you say Kent, they assume Quaint villages. :(

Will let you know what i think when it arrives, and its set up.think i will have to order a pair of extra stands though.

My lounge is of average size ,so i hope that this setup will surfice.

When you ask about cable upgrades , what ones do you use.Does the unit come with cables?.In the past i have replaced leads on an older seperates system i had and noticed no difference at all!poor old wallet did though.

7. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey , you're just up the road from me , I'm in gravesend I know what you mean everyone thinks "ah kent that's beautiful" but it's like anywhere good and bad and that a2/m2 is a right pain.
    As for cables I'm a novice it's just that I read so many posts saying cable upgrades give much better sound but I wonder if it's worth it on 'budget' systems.
    By the way you get all the cables you need , wish i waited now and got a multi-region do you know how much it would cost me to have it chipped ,I didn't think it would bother me but more discs have dts in the us and of course they are out earlier.
    Let me know if region 1 discs play ok
    cheers paul

8. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    use to work in the town there.

Got a few region one discs, going to order Rat Race next week on region 1.It costs £17 for me,my wife and my son to go to the pictures to see it, i can own it for less than that.

www.play.com sell both region 1 an 2 at reasonable prices and include vat and post.

Techtronics.com upgrade machines i believe.My brother in law has the sony 500davs and its region locked but he says(big emphisis on says as he does suffer from a servere case of bull*hitting) that its about £20 to convert it to a region free.

im sure if you search around here you will find out more about converting yours to region free.

9. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally it has arrived

Have set it all up now and i must say i think its great, but i think the bass on the sub is extremly powerful.It has a dial on the front and this is normally on the first mark but even that is to much sometimes.But i am still tweaking at the moment.

The setup i had delivered came region free,however upon using it i foud my TV is locked on PAL,but that was not a major concern anyway as i use the composite in at the front to plug the computers toshiba/dxr3 combination in to it.Remote selector converts the signal from ntsc to pal.

i have just copied my first dvd to vcd , and even though i burned it at 24x ,it plays faultlessly.MP3 format no worries.

All in all i would recommend this for a new comer to the home cinema arena.For only a few pounds more than those "all in one jobbies" this is an excellent entry level system.

System purchased from techtronics and it included 2 stands ( if you by the black model not the silver),2 additional stands bought from Leading edge concept.

10. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    glad you like it , I know what you mean about the sub I tend to turn the sub down a bit on the speaker settings especially for music when it can be too bassy.
    How do you find music , sound good, what films have you tried , have you tried dts yet ,any tips on tweaking it would be most welcome but I agree with you a great introduction for a newbie like myself.

11. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bass on sound audio discs can be a bit OTT .Only watched mummy returns and jack frost at the moment.Converted mummy returns to VCD and was happy with the finished product.

Still learning my way around at the moment, wife gets a bit annoyed because i am changing settings while watching films.

her reaction was " not MORE remotes"

12. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we must have the same wife , said exactly the same about the remotes and drove her mad fiddling with the settings.
    I think the midnight mode is good and it seemed to enhance the sound when I played dts discs.I tend to use action a lot terminator sounds great , it's not the best for music but i mainly wanted it for films anyway and at least it's upgradeable if we can persuade the missus.

13. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

i have a pioneer dv 444 dvd player. it is chipped to play reg 1 discs. I want to get one of these cinema kits so I can have 5.1 sound etc. will the above amp and gear work ok with my multi region player or does this not matter?? Is the above kit (HC-50s-ql) the right amp etc that compliments the 444 player. I am totally ignorant about amps etc so any help is much appreciated, cheers dudes

14. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Shaun,

Not sure what you mean by 'complements' but you'll find that "home cinema in a box kits" can be connected to your player by either coaxial or optical digital cables (one, the other or both).

The multi-region nature of the DVD player makes no difference, except some would say that Dolby Digitial is more detailed on a region 1 disc as less storage capacity is required for NTSC video signals.

Cheers.

15. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, what i meant by "compliments" is- is this amp and the dvd 444 player supposed to go with each other. is this the amp to get if you own a 444. will it give my dvd player 5.1 sound. like i said im ignorant to amps etc

cheers, shaun

16. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i see currys have this system for £699. I think this includes the dvd 444 player. I already have this so can i buy the amp and speakers alone and if so any idea how much.

thanks again

17. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from techtronics and it was £598 inc delivery, and it included a pair of stands.

Region free and macrovision disabled.

Have to wait a bit for it, But i reckon a saving of £100 plus is worth the wait.

18. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just bought the pioneer amp etc. BUT, when i play a dts disc (predator) the light on the amps panel marked dts does not light up. i have checked the player is set to dts and it is. i have looked through the manual and everthing seems to be set right. Im no expert and may have overlooked somthing simple. Any ideas???

19. gooner265

gooner265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same system and have played the mummy and gladiator on dts and they were fine and the light lit up,have you tried any other dts discs?maybe the disc is faulty.

20. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it normal for the sub woofer to make a hummming noise when switched on. Mine does????

21. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine does too.

22. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was reading what you said about DTS and it got me wondering if mine is the same.So i bought Jurassic park 3 and i Cannot get the light to work.Player is setup for dts out.Did you have any luck with yours.

Btw have ripped a few dvd to vcd and the results are very good,

Am in the process of compiling a "how to DVD to VCD" at the moment if your interested.I have found most of the ones on the net somewhat out of date.

23. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i sorted it out. I did not know that when playing an dts disc you have to go into the DISCS audio set up and choose DTS. Apparently it chooses dolby digital automaticaly unless you coose dts. The light now "lights" up.

Not sure about this copying dvd-vcd. Would not know where to start and i dont think i have the right equipment. Cheers anyway. good luck with the dts

shaun

24. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forgot to say. i watched predator last night in DTS. BLOODY HELL it was amazing to hear the difference between dolby digital and DTS. Better than the cinema although the neighbours did not agree. TOUGH, get some ear plugs

25. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No optical cable from dvd to amp.Doh

any idea where i can get one, and how much.As usual i need it yesterday.Cant wait for anything.

cheers.

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you haven't an optical cable (or digital co-axial cable) you can't have any 5.1 sound at all.

If you are in a hurry try Currys, Dixons or Comet

27. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing at all.I was happy with it as it was, wasnt until i read the above posts about the light it got me thinking.

Just off out

back soon

28. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my optical cable came with the pioneer amp. did you not get one??? Im sure they wont be expensive and any hi fi store should have them. let us know what you think of the dts when you get your cable. I was happy with mine too until I heard the dts. WHAT A DIFFERENCE

29. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Acually says in the vx300 manual sold seperatly.Went to currys near to where i live, What a waste of time.More range down at the papershop.

Just one other thing i notice there is two types ,MINIDISC, which is like a jack plug and the other which is a toslink to toslink.I assume thats the one i am after.

http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsCat=AVCAB&qsProd=OPT1

is this the sort of thing?

30. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes - Toslink