1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer has no banana plugs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stellavision, Apr 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Having spent a lot of time and money on fitting good banana plugs to my cables, I discovered the Pioneer VSX-D1011 I bought today does'nt take them, the holes are too small. I have at the moment inserted the plugs in the base where you normally place the bare wire and tightened the screws. Is it Ok to do this?
    I've swapped a Sony DB1020 for this Pioneer today, and my only complaint is the Pioneer has a slightly thinner sound.
    Just want to check that this is'nt a result of the way I rewired my speakers. Any thoughts?
    On the plus side, for 100 quid more I've got a 7.1 THX Reciever!:)

2. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

The terminals might have plastic removable plugs that you have to remove before inserting banana plugs.

3. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Eddie is right... check to ensure that there is not plastic inserts in the holes. Apparently its something to do with EU regulations and making it impossible to insert 'mains' type plugs into the wrong holes!!! I got my Denon AVC A11SR yesterday and that came with the plugs in - I used a drill bit (slightly smaller than the hole and HAND HELD) to un-pop the inserts from the connector.

BTW - I hope you didn't tighten up the screws too much or you may have already damaged the Bananas...

Cheers

4. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    There are small plastic buugs in the back of the 2011, use a small screw drivers or something to remove them. There are several posts in the 2011 review thread on this.

5. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the magazines (I forget which) said this about the 2011 recently. I.e. that it couldn't take bananas :rolleyes:

Funny, but I'm sure the same mag said the same about the Sony STR-VA555ES. Erm, er, yes it does......

Cheers

Ian

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Thanx for the input.
    Actually changed the 1011 for a 2011 today. I thought I may as well spend a little extra and see what the hype is all about.
    The plugs in the back are the same as the 1011 and I used a cork screw to remove them. I was just confused before because they are not like the usually plugs you see in banana speaker terminals.
    Great amp! Enjoyed it so far, just need to tweek it a little now.

7. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Three amps in two days? You lucky sod. I haven't bought an amp in weeks :(

D.

8. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Well I thought that while I'm trying to set up a good system I mint as well do it properly. I've just changed whole system to:
    Hitatchi CL32PD3000 Plasma, Toshiba 520SE DVD, Pioneer VSX-D2011, Mission M74i Front Floor standers, Mission M7DS Surround Speakers, Mission M7C2 Centre speaker and I've kept hold of my old faithful Mission 70ASE Subwoofer.
    Overall I think I'm very happy with my new setup. What d'ya think?