1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer has just lost a customer for the 436xde

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rpb, Sep 23, 2005.

1. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The recent increase in Comet’s online price for the 436xde from £2,500 to £2,800 is probably the final nail in the coffin for me.

As an average Joe I have been struggling to see any real picture improvement between the Pioneer and the Hitachi and so, unless anyone can come up with a very convincing technical argument not to, I will probably place an order for the Hitachi.

£800 is a lot to spend just for the Pioneer’s better name if there is no significant picture improvement.

If the reviews of the 436 in this forum had been universally good I might have changed my mind but that is not the case

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    If you cant see a difference between the Hitachi and the Pioneer get the Hitachi, you are right the extra £800 would a be a waste.

The Pioneer has issues, however compared with the Hitachi it is almost perfect!

3. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the main problem is that a lot of my viewing will be Sky / Freeview and accordingly even the best Plasma is going to struggle with the source material.

Is the only difference between the Hitachi and the Pioneer an (alleged) better picture in the latter?

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    My PHD6 is better with Sky than any CRT I have owned, the Hitachi is something I just couldn't live with myself, I would honestly rather not have a plasma and just have an old crt.

When you say is it only the picture quality that is better, what else do you buy a TV for? I don't get what you mean?

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hitachi is an ALIS screen (do a search, there are lots of 'for and against' arguments)

6. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,
    i dont understand ?
    if comet have changed the price then go else where .
    there are enough dealers who will the deal you want and better !

personally,right now, pioneer seems the way to go.
    it would be a shame to lose out on a product you appear to like over a store who is hell bent on losing custom.

good luck in whatever you do

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    It's not the fact it is an ALiS screen that bothers me, it is everything else......

Blacks, there are non, by the time you calibrate it so the blacks look black there is all sorts of funny things going on in them, once you have it set so they are grey all the noise stops and it looks better, but you have no blacks.

Colour banding, it is terrible, even a painted wall looks like it is painted by numbers, people faces look like they have put foundation on in blocks of different shades.

Even the noise, you can constantly see noise in the image on areas of solid colour, you can turn the NR up to max and it stops but the picture then looks softer.

I think it is the processing that is the problem, I was going to take my scaler round my mates to try it, but he has arranged to send it back to day and get a panny instead so I will never know.

8. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The difficulty is I need a stand and speakers and everywhere else charges at least £2,800 for that package. If anyone knows different please post a link! (I think Comet has just realised this - hence the price jump.)

Apart from the price, the problems are:-

1) The issues any plasma will have with broadcast source material
    2) The fact that the 436xde seems less than perfect (reports of juddering etc)

9. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Take a look at the 436, then the 435....My eyes couldn't notice a difference and I couldn't justify £900 more for an extra HDMI port....

10. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Are you watching the same telly as me???
    I have a 7200.
    Noise???
    Colour banding??

Blacks??? Yes, they don't compare to a good Panny, but you can set them as good as a Panny.
    I'd agree there is no detail if you do so, but what are these "funny things"???

Processing is not great on the 7200, I'd agree, but if you set the telly up right, it's good.
    Blacks just aren't mega important to me.
    Can you get the detail on your screen, that you get on a 7200???

Seems to me you're just slagging it for the sake of it, IMO.

Take your scaler to someone elses 7200 and see if you can improve it, by all means, especially with HD :smashin:
    Then do the same with a Panny/pio and let's have the results :smashin:
    Not everyone likes a plastic picture, you know.

11. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    of course for less than the price of the 436XDE you could get a Pv500 :smashin:

12. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately the styling counts the PV500 out for me - too much silver and the bezels are too wide

13. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No you cant. The Pv500 is vapourware.

apparently you wont get a 42incher before november if you ordered tomorrow!

14. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,332
    I agree with badger on this dont listen to silly hitachi slagging ,its twaddle .

Ive been watching hd and dvd,s through my pc lately and the picture quality is outstanding ,the colours, detail, everything is awesome .

Ive seen a pioneer showing hidef and in my view the hitachi beats it hands down ,black level and detail in dark scene problems dissapear once you start running hidef through the hitachi.
    :smashin:

15. explorer

explorer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pop into richer sounds, I did for the fde pioneer and bought it £2200 and I had a 3 tier av stand also for £100, they discounted £100 of the stand cause I agued a bit, I am sure you can pull off a stunning deal for the speakers also!
    Good luck mate- let us know what you do ok?
    :clap:

16. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    It's now £1999 at Richer Sounds...They were quite good, I bought it 5 days earlier for £2199 and gave me a no-quibble refund....I really like the 7200, but it had two drawbacks...1. It has a 1 inch smaller screen and is much larger than the Pio 2. The Pio box I could fit upright in the boot of our car where as the Hitachi was just too big...And I didn't want to put it on its side.....

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607

I am not slagging it off, I am just giving my opinion of it.

If you are happy with the picture that is great, point out why you like it rather than wasting your time having a pop at me about it, give some useful advice about how you have set it up and tell me where we were going wrong.

There is noise in the picture, my HD6 has noise in the picture compared to a Pioneer, and the Hitachi definitely has more noise than mine. Then look at a PV500, that has banding that I couldn't live with.

On a display decent blacks is the difference between getting 3D pop and proper depth in your image and not, if the blacks are not there then for me the screen is a non starter!

18. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Fair enough.
    Of course, you are entitled to your opinion :smashin: but, sometimes you make the 7200 sound horrendously bad, which it most definitely is not.
    As I keep saying, the 7200, when set up gives a good picture.
    And represents good value for money, IMO.
    Some people don't think the extra hundreds of pounds justify getting, what are, let's face it, marginal improvements.
    I don't see those problems that you spoke of (blacks apart,which I've accepted), unless I get within 2 ft of the screen and if you have to do that, I hardly feel they are important.

As for advice, etc, I have made posts about the 7200, including suggesting settings.
    It's not a case of anyone going wrong, I don't say I'm right, but I don't slate tellys outright either. It serves no purpose.
    I always advise people to go and look for themselves, which I think is the best advice you can give, because not everyone likes the same thing, as this discussion demonstrates :smashin:

19. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from

1) A slightly better picture
    2) Two HDMI sockets
    3) Progressive scan

Are there any significant differences between the Pioneer 436xde and the Hitachi 7500

At the moment none of the above seem to justify the £700 - £800 price difference (with stand and speakers)

20. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    The 7500 is a 7200 with a digital tuner.

HTH ?

21. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,332
    The words i was looking for ,ive watched the matrix on dvd and the blacks and the 3d image ,were quite poor :( ,last night i watched a ts hidef version ,and the detail and overall depth of the image improved 100percent :cool: ,no silly green in the blacks and in general murky scenes the detail was excellent.
    Er so basically go get the hitachi 7200 lol :thumbsup: