1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer, Harman Kardon, or Denon?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Andy_Hedges, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Andy_Hedges

Andy_Hedges
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am currently in the process of buying a new amp for home to go with my new speakers and I am after some advice....

I have a shortlist of several AV Amps/Receivers, these are....

Pioneer VSA-AX10
    Pioneer VSD-2011

Denon AVC-11SR
    Denon AVR-3802

However, Sevenoaks are saying that for my speakers, I would be better off going for a HK 5500 or greater.

The speakers I have are MA S8i, MA S4i, MA S10i, FB110 I will be looking to go to 7 channel in the future, but for the time being I am sticking with 5.1 I will also want the amp to be good in 2 channel for ordinary Hi-Fi.

HELP!!!

I have read some really good things about the Pioneer kit, but Sevenoaks really did not rate it on the sound!

I am booked in for a demo tomorrow morning, but I would like to solicite advice from people who actually have these Amps!

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks,

Andy

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    That's quite a price range you have there Andy, the Denon 3802 can be found for less than £500 now (check special offers hardware) and the AX10 is around £2500.

Do you definitely want to go the receiver route as opposed to separates? Have you considered a pre/power combo from the likes of Rotel?

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice that Sevenoaks are heavily promoting HK amps in their current round of advertising... I guess they got a good deal on them.

Apparently, certain branches of Sevenoaks were falling over themselves to recommend and sell the first batch of Pioneer 2011s yet now the supply is restricted/non existant, the very same branches are now rubbishing the Pioneer and helpfully suggesting other alternatives.

That would be other alternatives that they actually have in stock I might add...

4. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I recently demoed the AVC A11SR, a Rotel 1066 processor with the 1075 power amp and a HK 8500, all on the same day with the same CD's and DVD's.

In terms of film sound quality, I didn't think there was much in it between all three, but in terms of music ability, I thought that the Denon was behind the other two.

I eventually chose the HK as it, in my opinion, had the edge as far as overall performance and I especially liked the Logic 7 processing.

My advice would be to have a long listen to the ones you have listed ( I had over an hour with both the Rotel and HK ) and trust your ears rather than other people's opinions or how popular certain makes are.

5. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apropos of nothing but I couldn't purchase a HK just based upon looks alone. Christ they're ugly.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I agree, those HK receivers are fugly.

Thanks Dazed, I learned a new word!

7. Robert

Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why won't you check the NAD T762 new AMP? It sounds great on Music and Theater with with 6 channel amps, and all processing supported

8. Andy_Hedges

Andy_Hedges
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all of your advice!

I had a listen to the HK7500, Pioneer VSD-2011 & Denon AVC-11SR at the weekend with a set of Monitor Audio speakers that were the same as mine....

In the end I decided to go for the HK 7500, as it sounded the tits with the speakers that I have brought. I didn't go for the Pioneer because although I was impressed, it did not match my speakers very well and the tweeters hurt your ears with it!

The Denon was likewise impressive, but the HK7500 had it licked on the music front.... and I really liked the Logic 7 and the subtle changes that it brought about in sound.

I'm very happy with my purchase, don't think the amp looks fugly either! In fact, it makes a nice change from the standard silver japanese looking amps!!

Thanks again,

Andrew.

9. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    As long as you are happy with your purchase, screw what anyone else thinks.

Sounds like the 2011 held up quite well with more expensive equipment, I can't wait for mine to arrive :)

10. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I wonder if the Pioneer was calibrated, because even though the sound of the Pioneer is bright it will probably make a lot of difference if it is compensated by the built-in equalizer.

I have the AX10 and use some JBL's that are mainly good in low frequencies, so mine will never appear overly bright.
    --
    Good luck with your new buy! :)

11. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say that HK are starting to really produce some top higher end stuff and, from the sounds of this thread, the consumers are starting to catch onto this as well!

Damn. Now I am going to have to listen to some HK kit again. I might as well just throw away my savings..... :suicide: