1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer, good/bad or v.good/v.bad?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bellyfluffer, Oct 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi newbie in need of help

just got a 436xde and want to get the right set up to compliment it for £500
    posted a couple of threads asking for suggestions but was curious about the advice shops had been giving me about the poor quality of pioneer sounds! came as a shock to me as i remembered that pioneer had a great reputation as car systems so was curious what people on here thought as i want the best pic/sound combo on my plasma but must admit to liking the idea of matching a whole pioneer set up but not at the cost of my dvd enjoyment!

:lease: help, advice and generally any sort of comments appreciated! :smashin:

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Precisely what advice did they give you and what did they suggest in its place? Pioneer has a reputation for having its own 'sound' but that is not to suggest it is bad, purely a matter of taste. Some would argue their sound suits AV applications anyway.

Are you looking for an all in one solution with speakers or separates?

3. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    either to be honest
    the single box 'look' appeals so the all in one option is good, but...
    the 'better quality' of the seperates also appeals!
    i suppose most of the 'pioneer are really bad' advice has been about the all in ones
    cheers for the quick reply!

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Most people who get seperates will tell you that all 'all in ones' will sound infearier, this is ualy done to the size retraints as you just can't fit a heavy and fat power supply in a small package and thus they suffer from this. On the seperates side pioneer have a brighter sound, probably not for music listening but if you were serious on that front you'd propably have a seperate hi fi system devoted to it (unless you don't have the room or money, wife won't let you, only want 1 box to do everything in your life including wash your cloths and babysit the kids).

My advise is go listen, try and listen to a decent all in ones system and then a seperates strait after, direct audio memory is only short so a direct comapaision would be the best way. Although if you hear something that sounds amazing and something that sound below par then your gonna remember. If you can't hear the difference between a high quality seperates syetem and a all in one, don't worry just save your self some cash.

All in ones usualy skimp on the spakers especialy the sub which is usualy boomy, lumpy or lifeless (sometimes all three).

Above all else trust your ears and take who ever will be subjected to your choice when you make up your mind finaly (especialy if your spending loads, unless you don't want them to know how much your spending :p) and if you try the pioneer seperates, go with non metal speakers, some that are neutral or even mellow/warm as it'll even out the sound better (metal speaker with the pioneer would probaly just make its 'character' jump out at you).

5. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers gaz barber
    might get back to you with advice for which amp etc