pioneer generation 6 vs 7?

C

cfoz

Are there any big improvements with the 7th gen? Guy in the shop is telling me the 436xde is better than the 427xd...is that true? I would have thought the opposite as the latter is newer....

Definitley not true, I have spent a coule of hours with the 7th gen screens today and some things are seriously improved, there is now a total lack of judder it would seem, the blacks are improved again, but still not good enough for me, and the colours out of the box are far, far better.
Also screen burn or image retention is so much better, there was a serious issue on the 6th gen screens.

I was ready to buy one today as I need a second set, and sat next to the PX60 it looked quite a bit better, however after having the remote for 20 mins and setting them both up the overall image on the PX60 was alot better for me.

Too many things on the Pio would annoy me, watching the snooker there seemed to be alot of noise round the score and the balls, the colours are not natural looking at all, I had it on -16 before it looked natural and then as soon as you turn over it looked washed out. The other problem is still black levels, they are still a long way off my PHD8, they look like the blacks when you turn on, or is it off, letterbox mode, it raises the overall level and you loose that 3D snap.

Don't get me wrong, I think most people would be more than happy with it, but maybe I am just a bit too fussy!! ;)
Overall though if you need an all in one TV that looks the ****** it is a great package, just when you have something next to it that can be had 50% cheaper and has edge performance wise it is hard to justify.

Are there any big improvements with the 7th gen? Guy in the shop is telling me the 436xde is better than the 427xd...is that true? I would have thought the opposite as the latter is newer....
I would have my 436xde over one the new 427xd anyday..

Mainly because of these diffences

(1) I have my 435xde wallmounted so the 90mm depth of the 436xde vs 115mm depth for the 427xd is so much better..

(2) 1" extra screen size on 436xde.

(3) Ext media box makes wallmounting and swapping cables round a beeze..

(4) The nice sleek look of the screen with no built in speakers..(and a option for side or undermount speakers if wanted)

A retailer near me has a 436sxe running side by side with a 427xd and we could not tell the difference in PQ between them..And it is very easy to notice the 1" smaller screen size of the 427xd went there running side by side..

The panny plasma's are good as long as you don't want to use one for xbox360,PS3 etc gaming on...(they have big problems with green flashes with some games)

I have changed from an 506 to a 507 and there are IMHO some serious changes.

1. As reported above the colour gamut is miles better, and it was good before.
2. Image retention, there ISN'T any AT ALL!! With my 506 which was a November 05 build, I could watch an hour and and half of footy and once finished I could see the score for around half an hour before it completely disappeared & it did disappear. With the 507 there just is none!!.
3. As far as blacks are concerned sorry but I disagree with the post above. Yes the image has a darker starting point, this is due to the Pana having a lower precharge level which all plasma's need, and it's not that much lower. However in the dark parts of the picture the Pio has oodles more detail than the Pana. The Pana shows large parts of black as just a black hole where the Pio will show subtle detail and colour changes that the Pana misses. The Pana also has problems with posterizing where it simply cant decipher subtle colour changes, it shows this as just blocks of colour or gets confused and just shows purple, (the dreaded snakes).
4. As far as noise is concerned yes I agree the Pana slightly shades it but once you have set up the Pio properly it and it has run in it's just not an issue.

So is there a difference between the 436 and 427, oh yes.

2. Image retention, there ISN'T any AT ALL!! With my 506 which was a November 05 build, I could watch an hour and and half of footy and once finished I could see the score for around half an hour before it completely disappeared & it did disappear. With the 507 there just is none!!.

Although the general consenus is that retention is gone, I would like to say I have it seen it. Saw it on two 427s in a retailer in Spain that had obviously been stuck on the Mission Impossible 3 menu (not sure for how long) and it was pretty nasty looking. (Shame I didn't check the next day to see if had gone) It was also present on a Loewe but none of the other panels sharing the same feed had any symptoms.

I guess I am miffed because I can see a feint BBC breakfast clock outlined on my screen and mine is Mar 06. Out of interest did you go back through the shop to swap to the 507 or did you buy a new one and sell the old?

I prefer the look of the 436 having said that if you are to buy the 50" variety its pretty similar bar the lack of media box. The media box is good though if you want a minimum of wires.

Also depends on the shop, if its a mainstream one then they might just be trying to shift the old stock.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on the black levels, I am comparing it with my commercial screen, and not only is the absolute black on mine lower, the details are definitely better too.

But this just goes to show, you need to go and see a panel for yourself, once again I have heard rave reviews about the new Pioneers, and I nearly ordered one without vieiwing it, like I did with the 436-XDE and the NEC 42XM3, and neither of them were the screen for me, and it would have been sold.

Although the general consenus is that retention is gone, I would like to say I have it seen it. Saw it on two 427s in a retailer in Spain that had obviously been stuck on the Mission Impossible 3 menu (not sure for how long) and it was pretty nasty looking.

Most shops have the settings rediculously high, for example a Panasonic on full contrast still does not go as bright as a Pioneer set on 40, take the Pio down to 34 or below and you won't get any.

I have not run mine in just set it right from the off. I have watched Sky Sports News for around 4 hours solid and suffered no retention.

I guess I am miffed because I can see a feint BBC breakfast clock outlined on my screen and mine is Mar 06. Out of interest did you go back through the shop to swap to the 507 or did you buy a new one and sell the old?

Sold my 506 for the 507, & yes agree with the looks of the 436 to 427, not an issue with 506 to 507, not bothered about the media box. Mines on the swivel stand and wired carefully, can't see any wires. I'm sorry but there is a difference in picture quality, big enough as far as I'm concerned to make me change.

If you actually set the screen up properly though I really don't think image retention, let alone burn, is an issue at all, for me the screen looked right with contrast at around 25, any more than that and detail was starting to get crushed in teh higher ranges anyway, so whats the point??

I thought about getting a 436 over the 427, but I'm not going to be wall mounting it so it doesn't matter (neither does the extra inch). Plus you can't get new XDE's anymore.

Apparently the Pio gen 8's will have an option for a separate connection box. I can't wait that long though :¬)

when do we think Gen 8 will come out?

Most shops have the settings rediculously high, for example a Panasonic on full contrast still does not go as bright as a Pioneer set on 40, take the Pio down to 34 or below and you won't get any.

Sorry meant to say yes do realise that most shops never seem to adjust factory settings. But I meant that the point was of all the panels there (and there were at least a dozen) only the Pio and Loewe were suffering from any retention.

Its a shame that they do retain with the standard settings, not that anybody reading these forums would use them but the general public are not as well informed might leave alone and wonder why they can see retention though.

I've had my 507 for 5 weeks with no image retention:thumbsup:
not all plasmas are perfect and panny is not without fault some people have reported purple streaks,green dots in the black level.

i work in photography and i can tell you the 507 can achieve a very natural colour.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS MY OPINION:)

DVD

I've had my 507 for 5 weeks with no image retention:thumbsup:
not all plasmas are perfect and panny is not without fault some people have reported purple streaks,green dots in the black level.

i work in photography and i can tell you the 507 can achieve a very natural colour.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS MY OPINION:)

DVD

I can second that opinion from DVD....:) IMO the 507XD has a really wide colour pallet... so can look very natural and gives a good colour representation of the real world when the set-up is correct….:smashin:

Most likely around august/september next year..

Gen 8 out summer this year starting with 42".
See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485515 for lots more info. You'll also see there's going to be some announcement at the beginning of May.
John Lewis's Cheadle told me their Pioneer rep said the 42" would be around £1500 but I've seen other post say that it will be £2500, so who knows!!
I'm waiting for it anyway as it sounds like it will offer a significant improvement over current screens.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom