1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer FDE, XDE, MXE- What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bingle, Nov 17, 2004.

1. bingle

bingle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be a lot of people that know a lot about Pioneer plasmas here, so please can you help!! Three model numbers keep coming up- FDE, XDE, MXE in the forum, but whats the difference? I haven't seen the latter on the market, and I know the XDE comes with freeview....but other than that are the displays different? Also do they all accept PC signals and what connection would be used to achieve this.......I'm considering the FDE.....thanks.

2. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can do a product compare on Pioneers site.
    It shows all differences at a glance.

In short.

FDE
    - Cheap plastic remote

HDE
    - Metal remote
    - Electronic program guide
    - Gallery. PCcard slot to read you digital pictures
    - Picture in Picture of 2 different sources
    - PC signals input

XDE
    - Analog and Digital tuner

And yes there are a lot a Pioneer owners here :)

3. bingle

bingle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the speedy reply. Just taken a look at the Pioneer website- really helpful. Guess I won't be getting the FDE now....no PC input...if I really wanted I could use the S-video input but it wouldn't really be ideal......will now consider the XDE. I thought FDE was replacment of the HDE, yet clearly as you've just shown, it seems to have less features.

Any other advice/experiences/comments on the XDE would be greatfully recieved....thanks for the info.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Jaguar has left out the flagship of the range, the MXE. This lacks the gloss black surround, instead they have concentrated on building a world class plasma display, with the most flexible inputs. It's a 'business' display, but is just as well suited to a home setup. The thing that puts people off is that it has no scart sockets, and to some it's a puzzle to connect your kit. If you want to buy one you need to go to a proper dealer and get advice, usually free with the kit. They are cheaper than the others, as they have no media box, you get your own tuner, like sky, cable or freeview.
    The analogue tuner in the FDE is a bit sad compared to the digital inthe XDE, I wouldn't bother with it. The 2 'consumer versions (HDE is not a UK model any more) Have the benefit of HDMI for connecting to expensive Pioneer DVD players, and indeed there is no other sensible choice on these models, it looks good, and the other inputs give nothing like such good results. They are the ones to have if you want a replacement telly. If you want an electronic dream, of integrated home entertainment with a plasma as the centrepiece, ie web, TV, DVD, consoles, media streaming etc, you will find them fairly limiting, the MXE is your baby for that.

5. bingle

bingle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks maw. I guess the MXE will use BNCs and such connections.....please correct me if I'm wrong. I do have experience with professional displays and should be able to cope, though I think it will be a bit of a headache, and would need very careful planning to connect my domestic gear. The lack of a media box would also mean that if the plasma was hung on the wall there would be a lot of cables hanging down- one for each souce. I do already have Sky+ so I dont really need the XDE box for its digital tuner qualities....more for the PC connector for connection to my laptop....is this function available on the MXE? Though in saying that the tuner would come in handy if, or rather WHEN Sky fails on me!!! :)

I totally understand where you're coming from..... and in a perfect world the the MXE would probably be best, though I have to also take into account looks/style.... for reasons out of my control. With all that in mind i'm swaying towards the domestic XDE....Will I be dissappointed?

Thanks.