Pioneer Elite VSX LX 303 mcacc setting subwoofer to -15db

ckoons1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Pioneer Elite VSX LX303 mcacc setting subwoofer to -15db

wonder why mcacc is setting the subwoofer volume so low after calibration

gain on subwoofer is set to number 6 phase is set to 0 crossover all the way up (not sure crossover setting on sub matters) prior to running mcacc

of course I can adjust the volume manually but should it be done on the subwoofer gain knob or thru the receiver. don't want to run subwoofer too hot

thank you

Last edited:
I like the sound after I raise the volume on the receiver 10 plus db

just not sure if i am doing something wrong prior to calibration

I had read something about running the subwoofer too hot

want to make sure I am not doing that

haven't really checked

being a noob at this I just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly

Let the "auto" adjust everything and then tweak to personal taste.

My LX701 always sets my SVS PC13 Ultra to -14 and I adjust it to -6 which sounds right to me. I also boost the front and rear heights a couple of dB's as it sounds better to me.

The Pioneer app on my iPad is great as it allows you to adjust individual speaker levels in real time

DSC09494.JPG

Let the "auto" adjust everything and then tweak to personal taste.

My LX701 always sets my SVS PC13 Ultra to -14 and I adjust it to -6 which sounds right to me. I also boost the front and rear heights a couple of dB's as it sounds better to me.

The Pioneer app on my iPad is great as it allows you to adjust individual speaker levels in real time

View attachment 1266683
Did you maintain the center speaker volume after calibration?

wonder why the mcaac is setting the subwoofer volume so low ( -15 )

This is an indication that the subwoofer's own volume on its rear was set too high prior to running the calibration. Prior to the calibration, set the subwoofer's own settings on its rear as follows:

• Volume/gain to about 10 o'clock and no higher than mideway
  • Set the sub's phase setting tp 0°
  • Set its frequency filter to its maximum setting or set it to a dedicated LFE option if it has one

I'd also suggest you bypass any auto power option the sub may have and set the sub to ON if possible.

You can now runthe calibration

Once the calibration is complete then you should avoid altering the settings on the sub. If you find that the subwoofer level setting on the AV receiver has still been set as low as 15db then you should modify the volume setting on the subwoofer by setting it even lower and then rerun the calibration. You should continue doing this until the sub's level on the receiver is closer to 0db.

You can address the receiver's BASS MANAGENT at this stage and I'd suggest you set all speakers as being SMALL with appropriate crossovers no lower than 80Hz. This is irrespective of the speakers' physical size or their rated abilities. Note that this should be done post calibration because the calibration erases any manual bass management configuration made prior to the calibration.

Last edited:
Awes
This is an indication that the subwoofer's own volume on its rear was set too high prior to running the calibration. Prior to the calibration, set the subwoofer's own settings on its rear as follows:

• Volume/gain to about 10 o'clock and no higher than mideway
  • Set the sub's phase setting tp 0°
  • Set its frequency filter to its maximum setting or set it to a dedicated LFE option if it has one

I'd also suggest you bypass any auto power option the sub may have and set the sub to ON if possible.

You can now ru the calibration

Once the calibration is complete then you should avoid altering the settings on the sub. If you find that the subwoofer level setting on the AV receiver has still been set as low as 15db then you should modify the volume setting on the subwoofer by setting it even lower and then rerun the calibration. You should continue doing this until the sub's level on the receiver is closer to 0db.

You can address the receiver's BASS MANAGENT at this stage and I'd suggest you set all speakers as being SMALL with appropriate crossovers no lower than 80Hz. This is irespective of the speakers' physical size or their rated abilities. Note that this should be done post calibration because the calibration erases any manual bass management configuration made prior to the calibration.
Awesome. Thank you very much

Had to set the gain switch on the subwoofer to number one in order to get near 0db on the receiver subwoofer calibration. Is that ok to have the gain on the subwoofer set that low?

Last edited:
This suggests that the subwoofer is too close to where you are sat.

It depends upon how close it is to where you are sat and where it is? I'd suggest yes, you'd be better with the sub being at leat 2m from your seating position, ideally located at the front of the room as opposed to having it in so close.

You may find these articles of interest:

at the moment its approx. 7 feet away from the listening position off to the side with rear of subwoofer about 10 inches from the wall. this is the current location before moving it. if I move it, it will be approx. 10 feet from listening position, facing forward and approx. 2 feet from the wall next to center speaker.
would one be better then the other or would it be irrelevant

currently having trouble with my mcacc mic getting a mic error. not able to test different sub placings yet

Pioneer Elite VSX LX303 mcacc setting subwoofer to -15db

wonder why mcacc is setting the subwoofer volume so low after calibration

gain on subwoofer is set to number 6 phase is set to 0 crossover all the way up (not sure crossover setting on sub matters) prior to running mcacc

of course I can adjust the volume manually but should it be done on the subwoofer gain knob or thru the receiver. don't want to run subwoofer too hot

thank you
mine was around -30 db and said like 30 ft away in reality the sub was only 8 ft from map. i got a question for you guys . my sony upb x700 streams in atmos audio and my reciever say so but when I play a 4k blu ray disk my bd player says true hd audio but reciever said normal dd sur and my TV usually says atmos (audio out) when str a aming but only dolby with disk any help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom