Pioneer Elite vs Marantz

hockey nut

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Newbie to this forum. Anyone have an opinion on Pioneer Elite? Has their quality control become an issue since a Onkyo took over? Just wondering because I’m thinking of getting a new receiver. Thinking about Pioneer Elite SC lx 801 and Marantz SR 7011. Pioneers are noted for their warm sound, as are Marantz, aren’t they? Looking for decent power ratings. At least 110w/channel ( 2 ch driven). Thoughts on the two above or other brands that would sound good for movies AND music. Thx

I've not heard the latest Pioneers but I have heard several previous models which were good for movies but not so much for music IMO.
I've got a Marantz 7010 which I bought hoping it would be reasonable with music and it's exceeded my expectations being better than my Cambridge Audio A5 to my ears.

Marantz probably has the better reputation for music with Pioneer getting the plaudits for build quality certainly prior to Onkyo taking over. My Pioneer blu ray player is certainly built to last. If I had to choose with music in mind then the Marantz would get the nod.

Both receivers have pre-outs which means the musical performance of your system could be further enhanced by the inclusion of an integrated stereo amp with HT bypass which really will give you the best for film and music.

Both receivers have pre-outs which means the musical performance of your system could be further enhanced by the inclusion of an integrated stereo amp with HT bypass which really will give you the best for film and music.

This of course is the correct answer for music playback. I've been delighted with the stereo performance of my Marantz but realise it could be improved further with a decent stereo amp, although I genuinely believe it's good enough for me as it is TBH

This of course is the correct answer for music playback. I've been delighted with the stereo performance of my Marantz but realise it could be improved further with a decent stereo amp, although I genuinely believe it's good enough for me as it is TBH
I was never really happy with the stereo performance of my Denon 6200 and buying a Marantz SACD player and connecting by analogue just seemed to reinforce my misgivings. Getting the Rega amp has really shown just how good my KEF speakers are and just how big the gulf between a receiver and stereo amp really is. The other benefit is just how sweet the whole system now sounds when playing 5.1 music concert videos.

It was an itch that I really had to scratch. I'm glad it took me down the stereo route as I was contemplating getting an Arcam as a one box solution. Now I'd be happy sticking with either Denon or Marantz, although Dirac is still an annoying itch.;)

My Marantz replaced an older Denon and the difference musically was massive.

I am tempted with an upgrade to a stereo amp but I'm a bit worried I'd need to substantially up my likely budget to get a significant improvement, especially compared to the price I got my Marantz for second hand.

I had a Marantz 7011 and was using it for music via the 7.1 inputs (cd and SACD) On the advice of @Rambles and @gibbsy I bought a stereo amp with HT bypass (Musical Fidelity M3i) and although the 7011 was very good I was amazed at the improvement to stereo music the M3i made.

I don't doubt it but the m3i costs a chunk more than I paid for the 7010. Very good is probably enough for me for the time being.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom