1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR7000 - Info please!!! :-)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr 928, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at purchasing a used Pioneer DVR7000 from a friend, and he's let me borrow it while he's away on Holiday to see if I want to invest!

Now, I've been playing with it for awhile now, and DVD-R discs record fine, and once finalised work ok on every dvd player I tried, however the real problem is when I try a DVD-RW. Once these are finalised, do they act the same as a DVD-R? My old Pioneer 545 player just displays "Cannot Read Disc" and my MAC with built in Superdrive (also pioneer) doesn't even register the disc in the drive!?!!?!

The DVD-RW work great on playback in the DVR7000, but for some reason can't do much else with them!

It is an awesome machine, quite possibly the best quality recorder out there, but would I be better served buying a player with a built in HDD instead? I thought I could use the RW discs the same way, and then copy them onto DVD-R and re-use the RW, but my Mac's having none of it......

Any thoughts anybody? Am I missing something?
    Cheers

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

DVD-RW has two modes of operation. It will work in a good majority of DVD players only if recorded in DVD Video mode.

To do this, Initialise the disc as Video mode. You will then have a DVD-RW that will behave exactly like a DVD-R disc, and once finalised should play fine in most DVD players. I am not sure about compatibility with Mac hardware however.

If you are already doing this your DVD Player may not like DVD-RW, but I think the Pioneer 545 should be fine with them.

The Pioneer 7000 is a fine machine of its day, but is now becoming outdated. I guess it really depends on how much you are offered the machine for. Bare in mind you could get a brand new Pioneer recorder, with several more key features for £400.00 (see http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr3100/index.htm).

Regards

Philip

3. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philip,
    I've done that with the DVD-RW discs. If I initialize in Video Mode, it acts the same as a regular DVD-R, however using the VR mode gives more flexibility and full editing, the problem is once edited using the VR mode, I assumed that once the disc is finalized, it would basically work exactly the same as a DVD-R - which it clearly doesn't. I want the editing capability of the VR mode, but with the finalization of the Video mode!
    Think I should just get one with a HDD instead? I presume this way I'll have full editing capalibities before I write to disc?

Thanks

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

I see what you mean. Yes you can finalise a VR disc, however this is a legacy requirement, the finalise step doesn't finalise the disc to be a DVD Video.

You have hit the nail on the head. You cannot get all the non-linear editing benefits and have a compatible DVD Video disc. The DVD Video format doesn't allow non-linear editing.

You are correct in thinking that a hard-drive equipped recorder will allow you to edit on the hard-drive instead and then create a DVD-R (or a DVD-RW on Pioneer recorders) that will play on the majority of players, this is the easiest method to achieve what you want. The other option is to use a computer with the DVD-RW or DVD-RAM disc to create a DVD-R, this is much more flexible, but also not as straight forward as having a purpose built box to do it all.

Regards

Philip

5. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the info Philip,
    This has just made me realize that this recorder is not the machine for me.

Guess I'll have to see what other units are out there and pick one - is that new Pioneer 5100 going to be any good?

6. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

The Pioneer 5100 is an unknow at the moment as to my knowledge no one actually has it in Europe yet.

If you do a search in these boards you will likely find some comments about it. Based on the specifications it would seem next to perfect apart from lacking RGB in, which may or may not be an important factor for you.

The Panasonic machines are also well thought of, and would do the same job and have RGB in.

Your advantage with DVD-RW is being able to use the disc in most (certainly all newer) DVD Players for playback. Of course this means using the Video mode without the non-linear editing features but this isn't an issue if you have a hard-drive as you edit on that. Once watched (say you have lent the disc to someone) you can re-use the DVD-RW disc again.

You can achieve the same on DVD-RAM machines like the Panasonics using DVD-R, but being write-once you wouldn't lend the disc but give it, as you couldn't use it again for recording.

If the scenerio of lending or wanting to watch back elsewhere is rare then you have no worries doing this, but it might get expensive if you regulary want to make copies to watch somewhere else, say another room, at work on the PC (I do that!), in a portable DVD player, or lend out etc.

Regards

Philip

7. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philip,
    Many thanks for the info, although I find it hard to believe that a company like Pioneer would miss off RGB. The DVR-7000 has it, so I would assume the new 5100 will too. I think this machine is out in November, so I'll just have to be patient........

Thanks again
    GARY

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

The Pioneer 7000 doesn't accept RGB In for recording. It puts out RGB on playback and loops through RGB, but doesn't accept it for recording.

Regards

Philip