Pioneer DVR530H - Got it at last!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HHGTTG, Oct 27, 2005.

1. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    After weeks of prevaricating and wondering whether I was doing the right thing and wondering if Mail Order via the Internet was the way to go (for the best deals), I went into a fairly local, well respected Hi-Fi dealer in South London today and walked out with the above item for the sum of £380. I reckon this was far better than ordering over the internet and then being imprisoned in my house for a few days constantly listening out for that door bell to ring.

I might have only saved another £20 with an online purchase but my freedom is worth more than that. I'll plug it in tomorrow and give it an aerial feed and Scart connection to the TV and set it up to get the analogue tuner actived etc. and then when I'm happy, with its basic operation, I'll 'wire it up' properly to included my Freeview box etc.

:smashin:

2. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Write 'bout 530 not the money you've spent :D

Now seriously . I'm gonna get it within some days and I wonder 'bout your oppinion. Pls. writ everything you like and you don't. I can't stand it to get in my hand. Now I have 520 and as far as I can see there are some impotrant differences between them.

cheers

3. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HHGTTG, Good news! I'm still lovin' mine :thumbsup:

4. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Yes, it's great isn't it once you get used to some of the more basic instructions - the manual is a bit overwhelming (127 pages or thereabouts).
    Got the Guideplus+ system and G-link to operate my Matsui STB by telling it in the set-up that it was a Goodmans STB and have just started a recording and watched the STB change, all by itself, to Channel 19!!

I think that some of the timer recoding modes are a bit unintuitive and could have been made simpler and my On Screen Graphics aren't that clear - hope that will be resolved when I get my 32" LCD TV shortly.

For me there is going to be a long steep learning curve before I have mastered it fully.
    :smashin:

5. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm currently getting terrestrial only, so the Guideplus is an excellent bonus for me. It's good to hear you've got the external box control working; that's always a concern whether these things will really work or not.

The on-screen graphics - I presume you mean what you see when changing channels or pressing the display button are a very small, thin white on dark blue font that really need a large TV and are not that great to read easily on my 29" Sony (I know...:rolleyes: no digital feed, no w/s TV... it'll finally be resolved next year). The Navigation menus have some small text too but it's not such a problem there I find.

I'm now used to using Guideplus for recordings but it does still mean a bit of fiddling after pressing the red button to set things exactly. Once you get familiar, though, it's really easy. I'm not really using discs now, apart from the odd exception, and I just record everything in SP mode to HD mostly. Quality is great (as much as terrestrial can be) and I've still got over 50 hours space left :smashin:

6. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Yes, it's just that I have to go closer to the TV to read some of the static info. and would have thought that larger fonts could have been used eg when you press 'Display' once then twice I find the info a bit hard to quickly read - but then I've got old eyes! The EPG mosaic of present and future programmes is a bit, by necessity, muddled but again it's a matter of getting used to something new.

:hiya: