Pioneer DVR530H Analogue tuner quality

HHGTTG

Having now installed my Pioneer DVD-R 530H together with a Freeview STB and VCR, the Pioneer being (at the moment) the last in the aerial RF feed before returning to the TV, I am finding that the quality of the Pioneer's tuner's channels when viewed on the TV aren't as good as those from the VCR or the TV itself!

There appears to be a sort of background shimmering and slight horizontal movement as though one was watching a VHS taped recording. When such recordings are made from the Pioneer's tuner and played back, however, this phenomenon is not really apparent.

I have been tempted to go into the set up menu system and change the AV1/TV output to RGB but am afraid of losing the picture if the TV is not truly RGB compatible - the manual says the recorder can be reset (page 109) but would this mean the recorder would revert to 'as new' and have to be set up all over again i.e. retuning and downloading the EPG data etc.
:(

ROYOLD

Probably a limit to the amount of aerial looping thru you can do without using some kind of aerial amp. I use two Maxview signal boosters. One with just a single outlet and one with five outlets. The latter provides separate aerials feeds to various appliances. Digifusion PVR, Panny E85 dvdrec, TV, Sagem STB and JVC S-VHS VCR. Works quite well apart from when extremely bad weather gives me a poor freeview signal to start with.

HHGTTG

ROYOLD said:
Probably a limit to the amount of aerial looping thru you can do without using some kind of aerial amp. I use two Maxview signal boosters. One with just a single outlet and one with five outlets. The latter provides separate aerials feeds to various appliances. Digifusion PVR, Panny E85 dvdrec, TV, Sagem STB and JVC S-VHS VCR. Works quite well apart from when extremely bad weather gives me a poor freeview signal to start with.
Thanks for that information. It's only since I have added the DVD recorder to the end of the chain, that prompted my enquiry.

I have since connected the DVD recorder to the direct aerial feed and then to the TV whereupon I think I detected an improvement but not overly so.

Since then and reverting to the original set up I have gone into the recorder's Initial set up menu/tuner/manual change etc. and switched off the AFC for the Channel/s in question and fine tuned them myself and found this improved matters noticeably.

In any case when I have finished transferring the few old VHS tapes I possess to DVD, I'll move it down in the aerial chain, or even disconnect it (don't require it now) and put the DVD recorder up one place, if you see what I mean!
:thumbsup:

Top Bottom