1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR520 connection woes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mcbiff, Dec 27, 2004.

1. mcbiff

mcbiff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got this recorder today and connected it as shown on page 16 of the manual (Connection to a cable box or satellite receiver). However, as soon as the 520 is switched on it hijacks the connection to the TV and makes it impossible to view anything other than the channel recorder is set to. This in turn leads to us not being able to watch what's on the cable box when recording something from the antenna cable w/ the recorder. Not good at all.

The manual does say something about not connecting the recorder "through" other equipment, but I don't think that's what I've done. If anything the decoder is connected "through" the recorder, not the other way around. The VCR that was connected the same way before never had this problem.

To clarify, here's how things are connected:

Decoder->(scart)->recorder->(scart)->TV

Is there any way to solve this?

2. Akele

Akele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm suffering a simmilar problem but I'm blaming my freeview box. When my freeview box is turned on I can't view the analogue channels on my TV or VCR. I can hear the audio for the analogue channel but on screen I get a distorted image of the freeview channel. This means that I can't view any analogue channels when recording something from the freeview box, unless I pull the scart out the back of my TV.

My connections are as follows:

Nokia 221T Freeview-->(scart)-->Panasonic E65 Recorder-->(scart)--> Phillips TV

Hopefully the solution to your problem will be simmilar to the solution for mine.

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    It would be helpful if can tell us what make and model of Tv your'e using it with?

4. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If you press the + button on the front of the 520 this will switch to scart pass thru so you can watch your cable box.

5. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also the "TV/DVD" button on the remote toggles the display between the DVD and TV set - this one caught me out on my '720 before I realised what was happening;)

6. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget the input select on the TV remote.
    You should be able to toggle through the various inputs including the TV's inbuilt analogue tuner.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's useful to assign a number buttons on your TV remote to its AV inputs if possible, assuming you only have the 4 or 5 terrestrial channels on the TV.

8. mcbiff

mcbiff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help, everyone. I did solve the problem in a somewhat peculiar manner by using the second scart output on my decoder to connect it directly to the tv. Thereby I can switch the tv over to AV2 when using the recorder and view the decoder anyway. Not really elegant, but it works the way I want it to at least.