Pioneer dvr5100-s

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by djdaveyboy, Jan 6, 2004.

1. djdaveyboy

djdaveyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about to delve into the HDD/DVD recorder market, and this pioneer dvr5100-s has got my attention however i can not find any reviews for this hardware anywhere???

Can Anyone point me in the right direction whether it is any good or anywhere i can find a review

cheers

2. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    There is a review and round-up of about 6 DVD recorded in this months What HIFI and Video, including the Pioneer. Think it got 4/5 - reckon it was good, but not stunning if I recall.

They are recommend Panasonics right now.

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

DVD-RW discs are cheaper, work like RAM or can be recorded to so they have a good chance of playing on other DVD players.

The main advantage is if you wanted to take a film from the hard-drive to watch somewhere else, say at a friends house, it is a 99% certainty that DVD-RAM would not work. You would then need to use a DVD-R, which being write-once means you would throw it after watching; these are around a £1.00 each! With DVD-RW you can put the film on it and have a 70-80% chance of it working in any DVD Player, and once watched you can re-use the disc. DVD-RWs can also be had for around a £1.00 each, so you only have to use it twice to be up by a £1.00!

Regards

Philip

4. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a Pioneer 5100 and think it is a superb machine. If you have any specific questions just let me know. I am more than happy with mine and have already recorded loads of stuff to the Hard Disk as well as create DVD-RW and DVD-R's.

Have also copied home DV recordings via the Firewire port.

Great machine and generally around £100 cheaper than the Panasonic E100.

Mark Balcombe

5. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I second that - loads more features than the previous Pioneer.
    Fantastic machine, imo. (and nearly 10Mb/s bit rate recording)

6. THOWD FELLA

THOWD FELLA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I am right in saying that the problem with this recorder is that it will not record in RGB and so the Quality is not as good as you would expect with the hs2 or e 100 Panasonic decks, but no doubt someone will disagree.

7. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 5100, and it has performed superbly in every way - delighted with it for recording Sky and DV.

8. djdaveyboy

djdaveyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently i have telewest digital, connection wise what is the best, and if i dont have the preffered bits and pieces does quality really suffer???