Pioneer DVR420HS - any good?

kismet110

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is the wrong forum for the above machine but someone at work is selling one that is less than a month old at the price of £230. I'm tempted but not sure if that's a good price (not had time to trawl the net for prices etc.) and whether this machine is any good?

Also, looks like it doesn't have component connections, only RGB SCART and S-Video (which may be a problem for me as only one SCART on TV and already used by NTL DigiBox) so if you have one and know of it and it's connectivity options then your prompt response would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Regards

ALI

kismet110 said:
Apologies if this is the wrong forum for the above machine but someone at work is selling one that is less than a month old at the price of £230. I'm tempted but not sure if that's a good price (not had time to trawl the net for prices etc.) and whether this machine is any good?
It's very easy to use and gives good results. It's the same as the 520 and 720 apart from DVI and disk size.
Also, looks like it doesn't have component connections, only RGB SCART and S-Video (which may be a problem for me as only one SCART on TV and already used by NTL DigiBox) so if you have one and know of it and it's connectivity options then your prompt response would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Regards

ALI
Your scart limitation isn't a problem as the 420 scarts have a 'through' function.

When power is off whatever goes into L1 comes out of L2 pin for pin (this is a set-up option).

When power is on what goes into L1 coms ot of L2 in the format specified. So if you are using it in 'through' mode you would set your NTL to RGB out, the 420 video in to RGB and the video out to RGB, assuming your TV takes RGB.

If the TV doesn't have RGB, just set the 'path' to s-viideo or composite. So long as it is consistent the 'through' function is fine.

When the 420 is recording from its analogue tuner, by default L2 delivers the program being recorded, but you can turn on the 'scart through' function if you wish, so you can record analogue from the internal tuner and watch the NTL through the scarts as if the 420 was turned off.

The manual can be downloaded from the Pioneer site. The same manual applies to the 520 and 720.

Why is he selliing it?

Hi eddyad

Thanks very much for the prompt response, knowing it has two RGB SCARTS is excellent news because, as you state, I can loop my NTL Digibox through them (TV has RGB SCART in so no loss there).

His reason for selling as down as follows: "Plays and records DVD-R and DVD-RW (hence reason for forced sale, I need DVD+R as well, apparently)."

I don't know enough about the different formats to know if his reason for selling is 'valid'; is this a major limitation when recording stuff from HDD onto DVD and then playing it in another machine?

One last question :lease: - in your opinion, is the asking price reasonable? I'm assuming that the warranty will be transferable so any future problems etc. are covered within the guarantee period.

Thanks again

ALI

kismet110 said:
Hi eddyad

Thanks very much for the prompt response, knowing it has two RGB SCARTS is excellent news because, as you state, I can loop my NTL Digibox through them (TV has RGB SCART in so no loss there).

His reason for selling as down as follows: "Plays and records DVD-R and DVD-RW (hence reason for forced sale, I need DVD+R as well, apparently)."

I don't know enough about the different formats to know if his reason for selling is 'valid'; is this a major limitation when recording stuff from HDD onto DVD and then playing it in another machine?

One last question :lease: - in your opinion, is the asking price reasonable? I'm assuming that the warranty will be transferable so any future problems etc. are covered within the guarantee period.

Thanks again

ALI

The discussion over the relative merits of + and - R/RW is endless. Do a search on format and RW in this forum. If you want the machine mainly for TV timeshifting and watching DVD (home recorderd or commercial) then I don't think there is a problem. It seems that '+' may be marginally more flexible if you want to do editing on DVDs, but personallly I do what I want on the HD then copy to DVD. I'm not enough of a video buff to spend hours messing around with DVD creation. I want a convenient machine that gives good results.

I use a full RGB 'through' arrangement from a Freeview box to a Sony 32" wega TV and the results in LP mode knock VHS into the shade. SP is marginally sharper but I use LP all the time for timeshifting.

£230 is probably OK bearing in mind the age. The best 'new' price on a Google search I saw was 264 then there is probably delivery.

The only thing I'd suggest is to check if possible that the machine is not excessively noisy. Occasionally (this applies to all makes) a noisy fan turns up. The machines do contain a conputer hard disk and a fan so total silence isn't possible. Miy 420 is comparable to a Sony VCR it replaced. It's just audible about 4m away with no other noise in the room.

For warranty purposes try to get the receipt. The guy should have kept it for his own protection.

Thanks again for the quick response, to be honest I did do a quick search in between my last posting and now and the stuff that came back gave me a headache!

I don't have a need for editing etc, usage would be timeshifting and maybe the odd copying to DVD for archiving so not worried on that front.

I'll definitely be asking for the receipt (he purchased it from Richer Sounds) but may not get a chance to check out the noise it makes (unless of course he doesn't live too far from work).

Thanks again.

ALI

P.S: As a matter of interest, which company had it for £265? Might be a bargaining tool to knock him down a little ...;)

Thanks for that ABP, that £230 is sounding like less and less of a bargain!

I've emailed the seller stating a possible interest but have printed out the page you've kindly supplied. If he's willing to take an offer then fine, if not then no loss, especially as his one (I think) is R2 only.

ALI

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom