1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR420H Widescreen Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dogmonaut, Dec 16, 2004.

1. dogmonaut

dogmonaut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a DVR-420H DVD recorder. When I copy from the Hard drive to a DVD-VIDEO formatted DVD-RW, the signal that tells the TV that the recording was in widescreen is not copied over (using optimised copy mode). Is there anything that can be done about this, as if I use the disk on another player connected to a standards 4:3 TV, the picture is squashed up and not in letterbox mode.

Thanks.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are limitations to recording the WS switching signal on DVD and is not limited to Pioneers.
    Basically, the WS signal doesn't record in LP mode. So if your (optimized) recording lasts more than 2h 20 min (MN1 to MN18) it is classed as LP and there is no WS signal to switch a WS TV; you can resize a WS TV pic manually and it will look fine.
    On a 4:3 TV you will need to set the player in any case to tell it to deliver a 4:3 picture. There are two options on the 420: Pan & Scan (sometimes called Full Screen) which removes the sides of the WS picture but fills the 4:3 screen, and Letterbox which shows the full pic but with black bars top and bottom.

See pages 109 and 113 of the manual.

3. dogmonaut

dogmonaut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I'll make sure that I keep the length below 2hr 20min in future.

BTW, where you do find out information like that? I am new to this DVD recorder revolution! What does MN1 to MN18 mean?

Thanks.

4. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also note that Sky and Sky+ boxes do not send line 23 widescreen switching. Only pin 8 on the SCART which the Pioneer will ignore I think. There is a thread about it someplace.

5. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Pioneer 220s and in the instruction book it has a full table of "Manual Recording Modes" in the Additional Information section near the back - MN1 to MN32.

To Summarize:
    MN1 - MN6 = Extended Play, 285mins - 360mins
    MN7 - MN18 = Long Play, 150mins - 270mins
    MN19 - MN31 = Standard Play, 65mins - 140mins (records widescreen flag)
    MN32 = Fine Play - 61mins (records widescreen flag)

Hope this helps

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm afraid you'll have to settle down to a quiet evening with the instuction manual. All the DVD/HDD machines are have so many features that there isn't really any other way.

As dmjohnson said, there the 32 recording modes on the 420. For simple TV timeshifting I suggest you use LP, and set that as the 'default' using the remote Rec Mode button, which will cycle round the settings (page 47).
    All subsequent recordings will be made in this mode unless you change it.
    If you want to use the MN settings you have to set Manual Recording 'On' (page 107) then all the MN settings are available.
    For recordings that will go to DVD, use SP up to 2 hours, MN20 and 19 for 2h 10m, 2h 20m. Then you are into the LP range.

You may find it useful to download the manual in PDF format from www.pioneer.co.uk It is much easier to search on the PC than the paper version.
    On the Pioneer site go to Support on the top menu, then Online Manuals on the left, then European Manual Database, and type 420 in the search box that pops up.

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think virtually all dvd recorders ignore pin8 WSS switching on dvd-r.Panasonic record it on HDD and RAM,but not -R.Toshiba machines allow you to manually add it.
    Most channels do not carry Line23 WSS

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pioneers record WS switching on all the SP and better modes (MN19 - 32).
    I have DVD-Rs in video mode and the WS ones switch the TV to WS.

9. dogmonaut

dogmonaut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help with this. I admit that I only glanced at the manual. I guess I will have to give it more of a read. I am still finding things on the recorder that I wasn't aware of.

There was a nice thread about Sky and the widescreen signal (using pin 8 and not line 23). I understand how things work a lot better now.

10. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much is a pin 8 to line 23 converter? :)

11. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't know price, but there are many products of varying sophisticaton. here is one: http://www.amcro.co.uk/wss208.htm
    Try a Google UK search on "aspect ratio converter"

12. MikeMcr

MikeMcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The one listed in the link above is £125 including VAT but excluding delivery.

13. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a rip!