Pioneer DVR420 RGB Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lyricman, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have the 420 which is proving to be an excellent machine for archiving and editing of Satellite and terestial recordings. I do have a small niggle and wonder if it is just my setup or their is an inherent bug in the unit.
    I have an Echostar Sat system which has RGB output which I connect to the 420 RGB input. With the unit switched off it passes the sat signal through to the TV in RGB mode for an excellent picture. When I turn the 420 on and select Satellite it only outputs Comp.Video on the TV, switch the 420 off and it passes through RGB again. If I record on the 420 it does infact record at RGB quality. Is this a problem with all recorders or is it specific to these Pioneers.

2. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that in the Pionners video output setup menu there are options for setting Composite, S-Video or RGB output to the TV - yours may be at the default Comp setting?!
    Mike

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You say when you record it is RGB quality - do you mean you are getting RGB out from a recording? It is more likely that the RGB input gives a generally better recording than composite would, even when played back as composite.

Most TVs switch automatically between RGB and Composite (or S-video and Composite if you have an S-video feed). Therefore you don't actually know what sort of signal you TV is getting unless it has separate RGB settings in its menu system, which are blanked out with a composite feed (e.g. Sonys).

The RGB passes through the 420 when power is off (but passthrough option during standby is ON - see Initial Settings, Basic, Power Save = Off) because all pins of the scart just go straight through, ignoring what the Settings are.

But when you turn the machine on the TV out is the result of the machine's normal video output settings. You need to set this to RGB in Initial Settings, Video In/Out, AV1 Out.

By the way, don't forget that you can pass through your digital signal when the 420 is recording analog on its own tuner. Just stroll over and press + on the front panel - see Tip on page 48 of manual. For some reason this can't be done on the remote.

4. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it does not answer the question. In the setup I have input 1 set to RGB which is connected to the RGB out from the Satellite. I have the output set to RGB which connects to the TV. The Philips TV shows on screen exactly how the signals are connecting e.g. RGB or CVBS. When the Pioneer is off and powersave is set to allow the scart to feed through it comes on the TV as RGB if I switch the Pioneer on with the L1 input selected the TV goes to CVBS. With the TV in CVBS mode I switch off the Pioneer and the TV switches to RGB mode. Grrrrr anoying.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It seems from your description (as you don't mention the VCR) that you are using the set-up shown on p.18 of the 420 manual. This states that you should set the L1 input to Decoder (not RGB) and refers you to page 102, which shows the Initial Setup menu for input and describes the Decoder setting.
    This might make sense of why the power-off pass-through works, because that is just what it says - a direct pass-through to AV1 of whatever arrives at AV2/L1.
    As soon as you switch on you get a 'processed' output at AV1, and this could be affected by the RGB instead of Decoder setting. I assume you also have to set the decoder to output RGB, like my Grundig Freeview box.

6. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well Eddy, I tried the decoder mode and this is what happened.
    I set AV2/L1 to decoder - L1 not selectable on Channel + - . Went to manual tune selected blank channel 6 and set it to decoder and guess what RGB, great oh but wait the menu has now disappeared. So with channel 6 in RGB I turn off the menu using the display on the unit. Soon as the display went out of set up mode to Channel 6, guess what it went to CVBS - Damn.