1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR420 Remote Problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by compton fox, Apr 24, 2005.

1. compton fox

compton fox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok...I've got a problem in that my remote has suddenly stopped operating my DVD recorder. Please don't suggest all the obvious (new batteries, distance from unit, etc) as I have tried all of these. I don't operate any other hardware with this remote.

My remote is working as I can get the light on it to light up (what else would it do?!).

I can also operate the unit by using the control panel on the recorder, so that seems ok.

But I cannot access the menus which are only available through the remote.

Any ideas? It seems a ridiculous problem to have, and I am loathe to pay up for having it looked at, as there must surely be a simple solution (that me as a simple person hasn't thought of!) :confused:

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    It may still be faulty. :lesson: The led on the remote is just an indicator that the buttons have been pressed and a command given..........the actual invisible infra-red pulses from the IR diode mounted at the front of the remote may be missing. The IR diode may be faulty or dry-jointed and lost it's connection due to having been dropped.
    The fault could be in the remote control or the remote sensor on the Pioneer.
    What you have to establish is which.......best idea is to beg or borrow a one-for-all type, program it to operate the Pioneer and then you will know for sure.

3. compton fox

compton fox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Jaycee. I'll try to get my hands on a one-for-all remote and see if that sheds any light on the problem.

It's soooooo irritating that this has happened....especially when the DVDR is only 4 months old. :mad:

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,878
    Or..........if you bought it at a local shop take the remote in and try it on a display model (or anywhere else with a Pionner DVDR on disply) and you would then know for sure.
    Good luck.

5. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a universal remote from Argos and you can return it when your testing is complete.

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you have set your remote to control your TV then you can test the remoe on the TV. If you haven't set this see page 112 of manual and try it.

If you've changed settings connected with a satellite decoder in a certain way (I forget how) you can lose the menu system. You could try resetting the recorder - also page 112.
    1. Make sure recorder is on.
    2. Press and hold Stop then press Standby.

See also Note on page 98

7. compton fox

compton fox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all the advice...I'll nip out to Argos at lunchtime to get a universal remote.

And I'll try resetting the unit tonight too.

Thanks again.

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A problem with universal remotes is that they don't necessarily cope with DVD machines and if programmable need the original remote to set them up.
    If you haven't bought one yet, try the TV test or the reset first.

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    One other thing - The remote can operate on three 'frequencies' in case you have more than one Pioneer DVD in the same room. For this to work you have to set the 420 first, then the remote. Is it possible you have inadvertantly changed the remote to one of the alternatives but not changed the 420 itself? If so the remote wouldn't work. See page 99 of manual "Remote Control Set".
    Try setting it to '1' as described.

10. compton fox

compton fox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for all your advice, eddyad. You've given me hope that the solution to my problem is one of the things you've mentioned.

Just want to get home from work now and try out some of these suggestions!

(I can't believe how much I'm missing my 420....especially as I didn't even own a DVDR 4 months ago! Sad isn't it?!).

11. compton fox

compton fox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, I've spent the last 2 hours trying out all of the suggestions. In summary:

1) I couldn't get the remote to operate my main tv, but it can operate 2 other tvs in my house.

2) I tried all 3 remote "frequencies" with my DVDR. None worked.

3) The universal remote from Argos failed to operate my DVDR. I attempted all possible codes, and the "search" function

[I guess that the above indicate that the problem is with the actual DVDR remote sensor, rather than the remote]

4) I have re-set the DVDR to its factory settings. I get as far as the "SET-UP NAVIGATOR SCREEN" but yes, you guessed it, I cannot make my way through the set-up options because the remote doesn't operate the DVDR!

So, unless anyone can think of any other tests I could try (please, I'm desperate!) it looks like I'm going to have to contact my local Pioneer service centre.....

12. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Make sure the remote is set to Remote Control Set 1.

Have you ever tried 'Child Lock'? It can be turned off from the front panel - page 55

Unplug the 420 from the mains for a few minutes then plug it in as if it's new (but most kit now holds settings so long this may not help).

Does the remote turn the recorder on and off?
    As the absence of the menus can be related to use of a Decoder setting then if the 420 is set to that channel you won't see anything - and reset may not have reset that. Turn the recorder on and select terrestrial channel 1 using the + and - buttons.
    Assuming you had the 420 tuned to the normal terrestrial channels, the menu system should be OK.

You could call Pioneer tech help - I've called a couple of times for info and they are among the most helpful I've come across.