1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer dvr420 recording problem?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 54xhg, Aug 21, 2005.

1. 54xhg

54xhg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I have the pioneer dvr420,when recording from the AV2/L1 which is connected to my ntl box, i have it set to RGB but i do not think it is recording it in RGB,because when i change it to video or s-video the quality of the recording is still the same.Surely if the recording is in rgb it should be better quality than video or s-video mode.

Thanks.
    54xhg

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    And how are you watching the recorded signal? If the connection between your Pioneer and your TV isn't RGB (either by virtue of settings, or the input used on the TV) then you won't see RGB quality. Doesn't mean the recording itself is "poor"; just the effect of playback. I wouldn't expect to see much difference between SVideo and RGB anyway. Composite (video) is noticeably worse than either of these.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Assuming you've set your ntl box to send RGB, and the 420 Video-in to RGB, and the Video-out to RGB, and you have the TV-out scart connected to an RGB scart on the TV, then try this:

With the 420 stopped, press the DVD/TV button on the remote (top right next to '3') and make sure it is in DVD mode.
    This is displayed on the front panel and on the TV screen if the TV is set to the scart input AV.

If it is in TV mode then playback is always composite. This has something to do with the machines's ability to record FROM a TV using the scart bi-directional facilities into the TV-out scart.

4. 54xhg

54xhg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers eddyad,that's done the trick.Thanks for the help.