1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR3100 - they're out!!! But they're not Multi-Region-able!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TP2K, Oct 15, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - well the Pioneer DVR3100 has finally hit retail, but so far noone has managed to make it multi-region.

Good for me in the sense that I am *desperate* to buy something to replace my sold DVR7000, but as I *really* want the 5100, the fact that the 3100 is not multi-region is the only reason I have not given in and purchased it...!

Still pondering over the Sony GX7, but having become victim on the Sony "cheap laser" component on my former player which gave up after 14 months I have resisted so far...

How long can one go on without a DVD-R??? Not much longer that's for sure...!

2. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Avland have both the 5100 and 3100 available multi region.

3. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No they don't! They have the 3100 as expected, but it's R2 only - also as expected!!! :clown:

At present, noone is able to make it multi-region despite what websites may claim; Pioneer have changed the existing software patch which used to work... :thumbsdow

4. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to reiterate what TP2K has already stated.
    I have just emailed Multiregionmagic ref the 5100, and there response (which was immediate) was
    Delivery is sometime in November (which I think we knew already)and "at this moment in time it's looking like it will be region 2 only"
    Regards

5. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  6. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, but I know... but you try actually ordeing one...! :devil: :laugh:

7. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nope cos i dont want one i saw your thread and thought the info may be of some use to you.::p

8. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really fed up with this ...

I just want a DVD recorder, Pioneer system prefered, multiregion, and I want it now !

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    I'm sure a multi-region hack for the Pioneer will turn up if you just wait for a couple of weeks!

10. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL! Easier said than done!

I sold my Pio DVR7000 and I absolutely NEED something to replace it - the cash is burning a hole in my pocket for gawd's sake! - whaddaya reckon, the M/R Panny HS2 now, or wait for the (possibly M/R) Pio DVR5100??? Oh the trauma...! :rotfl:

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    If you've already got yourself equipped with loads of DVD-RW disks your probably best sticking to DVD-RW machines. Why not consider a multi-region Sony GX7? It has the same functionality as the Pioneer 3100. Infact the Sony has RGB in (the Pioneer doesn't) but lacks iLink Out.

A HDD/DVDR combo is obviously the better option though. If RGB in is of use to you then the HS2 is a top machine - and of course it's £100 cheaper than the 5100. But then, as I say, if you've got loads of DVD-RW disks the you may be better off waiting for the 5100.

12. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I must admit I am loving the idea of a HDD. If the Pio was out now, and was MR then I would have one; regardless of availability/cost/features on the HS2 at the present time (the RGB in issue I would get round by likely purchasing a JS RGB to S-Video).

Unfortunately it's not, and for the time-being, even if it were out it cannot be made MR - which for me is the #1 priority.

The GX7 was in the pot, and perhaps to a minor extent, still is. Very nice MR machine with excellent connectivity and compatibilty.

The only thing putting me off the GX7 is that my second ever player was the Sony 536 and the laser packed up very early on - just out of warranty of course - so that was £300 down the drain. A web search revealed Sony using cheap laser components and the story was posted by many Sony owners... I don't want to shell out £580 on a mchine which may just possibly have the lifespan of little more than a year; once bitten twice shy and all that.

So, full circle and back to considering the HS2. For me the big plusses (in order) are Multi-Region, HDD, RGB in, DV in... and then of course all those features that come with it. Downside? RAM instead of -RW, but I really don't think I would ever use RAM. Much in the sense if I owned a Pio 5100 I would never use -RW.

At present I am using my bedroom Pio 444 player in my HC set-up to bide time since selling my Pio 7000 recorder, and I am getting impatient.

For me it's a tough call - RGB in and DVD-RW is pretty much the deciding factors. I guess RGB in is something I need (Telewest), but I can live with semi-shelving 20 or so DVD-RW's - particularaly so since my PC uses them, and my bedroom player can read them; so they'll not go to total waste.

C'mon someone - give me a shove forward and show me the light... HS2 for £450 - would I be mad not to?

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Only you can decide that! But on the subject of the HS2 having DVD-RAM over DVD-RW (apart from the fact you already have some DVD-RW disks) it really isn't that much of an issue on HDD/DVDR combos. You'll do all your timeshifting on the HDD and only use media for archiving/sharing. Considering you can get DVD-Rs so cheaply it's hardly worth using re-writeable media.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    TP2K,

From reading your posts you need to ask yourself "Do I need a HDD/DVDR system?".

If you want to make properly editted recordings (and you don't want to go down the PC authoring route) then you need a HDD/DVDR combo. If you want to do alot of Timeshifting then a HDD is better suited than a DVD. If you don't need this then a standalone would be acceptable.

You've had a Pioneer DVDR7000 so you know the 'limitations' of a standalone - but if you are happy with these (or you are planning to go down the PC editting route) then save yourself some cash and buy the Sony GX7, JVC DMR1 or Pioneer 3100. Personally out of those I would go for the Sony as it has RGB in.

15. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you. Thanks for shedding yet more light on this one!

I have to say that for now the Pio 3100 is out of the question; only because it's not yet MR, so until it is, I wouldn't consider a purchase.

The JVC is not a machine I have considered (maybe I ought to browse it now!), which really, brings me back to the Sony. At £580 for the Sony, or as I am able to get the HS2 for £450, I think the HS2 is the recorder of choice; I would (I think!) prefer a trade off of -RW for HDD...

Do you (or anyone) have recommendations then, as to the software of choice for editing out adverts/episodes or whatever on a PC DVD-RW system??? Might just save me a few £'s!

TIA!

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    TMPG Enc Author is a good choice. It's reasonably powerful and has reasonable editting facilities. More importantly it is fully VRO compatible. That means you can make recordings on a DVD-RW (or DVD-RAM) machine in VR mode, do all your editting on the set-top and just import and author on the PC. Free, time-limited, trial available:
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html

IMHO TMPG Enc Author is the ideal programme to accompany a set-top DVDR.

17. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, yet agin, for this - Rasczak, you've been a great help.

One last thing though; do you (or again, anyone) know what the playback quality of pre-recorded DVD is like on the Panny HS2? The Pio 7000 was pretty excellent, but that siad, I am also happy with the 444 my 42" also...

I am trying to find maybe an online review, but this afternoons search has yeilded very little.

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Reviews for the HS2 can be found on the What Video and Home Cinema Choice websites:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/index.html

http://www.whatvideotv.com/testbench/index.html

It's OK. Not as good as my Arcam 88 but better than my Toshiba 210. Generally speaking it's equivalent to a player around the £250-£300 mark - although do note it doesn't have a 'Zoom' feature. I find the quality acceptable enough for it to be my DVD player on my plasma (though I generally watch movies on my projector which is hooked up to my Arcam).

19. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Avland say that pioneer dvr 3100 muti region available from next week

20. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey we're getting there.....slowly :)

I'm sure the 5100 will be available soon.

I bet you all can't guess I'm waiting.....impatiently :)

21. mark67

mark67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So which DVD would best suited for day to day recording-Erasing from the TV. Panasonics, Pioneer 3100 or the Sony GX3.

Done a bit of searching around and the pioneer doe have a lot more features.

22. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Actually the Pioneer 3100 and Panasonic E60 have very similar features. The major differences is the former has DV out and records to DVD-RW, whereas the latter has RGB in and records to DVD-RAM. Other than that they are very similar. If you need to play re-recordable disks in another player opt for the Pioneer. If this isn't an issue and you want to record in the best quality from Sky (without conversion) opt for the Panny.

23. pd45

pd45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. Russtavo

Russtavo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: