pioneer dvr 930

That looks like the 920 to me.

Steve

Yes I'm waiting to hear more about the 930H, but I wish it could write to DL discs like the 530/630H

http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd/pidvd.htm have it listed at £849 and it is expected in week beginning 3/10, however I'm sure last week it was expected beginning of last week!

I went into Sevenoaks Sound & Vision last week asking about DVR-930. They phoned Pioneer and I was told that they'd be coming into the UK on week commencing October 24th. Suggested pre-ordering as there will likely be high demand initially. Don't know how accurate that info is but hope it helps

Real shame it has no digital tuner tho...or am I wrong ?

If you have seen the mags, you will know it has always been set for release in december - I am sure they were saying it was DL? - lets hope they have got it wrong again!! - there seems to be much confusion with the 920, a much older model - If it really does not have DL, it will be like a snowfake in hell .... please wake up, pioneer!!!

I cannot understand why (if you believe Pioneer's specs) it does not have dual layer. Even their new VCR combo recorder supports dual layer. Some other features from the x30 range appear to be missing too. Very disappointing if true :thumbsdow

Well I just downloaded the 930 manual and no mention of dual layer support. Even the GUI is the old version from the x20 range so I'm not sure what Pioneer are doing :confused:

:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: ** hold on, everybody!! **

I think Pioneer has done a big :oops: :oops: :mad: :mad:
:lesson: oh, and as I have said before, *dont believe it* until you have actually touched it!!! - too many false claims have been made, just to get a sale, and you are then left holding a reciept, and *not* a machine....

In the press release for the 930 (I think it was what hifi and widescreen?? ) they said that this recorder would do almost everything, except make the tea!! so yes, I think it *will* do more than the other DVDRs...

So please, before everybody starts moaning about what it may or may not have, please realize that a *lot* of guys are mistaking it for the similar-looking 920!!! - It looks like even the web-guys at pioneer have got them terribly mixed up...

If you look closer at the manual, it refers to a 250g HD (the 930 should have 400gb) and if you look at the website, the size, weight, and power is *identical* in both 920 and 930....

so :lease: :lease: can we wait until it is officially sorted out, and they have managed to 'extract their boot'... :D :D

well, been to the show, and even the glossy brochure says that the *new* pioneer 930 is basically the old 230, with a large HD... ?? still a big :oops: by pioneer..

This is strange, since it is a *new* model, and the 433, 530, 630, all have dual layer capability, but not this one?? sure it has a 400Gb HDD, but...

the guy at the stand said yes, it was dual layer, but I will have to wait and see if the major mistakes in website, brochure, manual downloads, etc have been changed...

the US website seems to be changing as well, so it would be best to use google to check for them... :)

The 630 etc are still great machines, so I still think its worth the wait!... :thumbsup:

I love Pioneer DVD recorders, but the fact that none of them, after all this time, have a digital tuner means a big 'no way' for me. Strange, as their Freeview box is just about the best there is - and it's been around for ages. The lack of dual layer (if it's true) is not such a big deal, but also a bit strange... Another wait I think - yawn... Sony will clean up soon, I reckon.

well I'm really in favour of 'separates' - that means when one of them is out of date, it can be upgraded - when bluray or whatever takes over from DVD, it can be just replaced- if the DVB needs a newer model, with HD capability, and large fast storage needed for newer technology, etc.. and of course any unit will have 'the best' by *your* decision, not what limited bits the systembuilder thought economically possible...

oh, and you do know, that the sony DVDR does not have thumbnails on a DVD you record? just titles, where the pioneer has a choice of 5 different layouts of thumnails - different backgrounds, Number on screen etc...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but recent UK webpage mentions DL -Chassis. I'm half inclined to think this just refers to the double decker style appearance of the box, rather than DVD-R (DL). But then maybe I'm missing the point of this thread as almost every PC DVD writter I've seen for years is able to burn on both layers of a DVD-R. Why should set-top boxes be any different?

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=11407&taxonomy_id=45-133

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but recent UK webpage mentions DL -Chassis. I'm half inclined to think this just refers to the double decker style appearance of the box, rather than DVD-R (DL). But then maybe I'm missing the point of this thread as almost every PC DVD writter I've seen for years is able to burn on both layers of a DVD-R. Why should set-top boxes be any different?

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=11407&taxonomy_id=45-133

I've got a Pioneer 930 and it definitely does not record to DL disks.

The disks are expensive anyway so I'm not bothered.

yes, the pioneer PR dept made a **major** :oops: whoopsie.... :oops: :rolleyes:

I think long ago, a strong layered metal chassis (two plates bolted together made sure that it would not bend very easily!!) was good if you wanted to stand your big hifi on it, but not these days...

Has marketing seen the word 'DL' and got it totally mixed up?? and also thought it was 'new' ???
(well its DL... <clueless> der, what does 'chassis' mean ?)

The 433/530/630 are great machines, but again the guy who thought up what numbers mean what, doesnt seem to have any math knowledge.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course, DL discs are very rare and expensive at the moment, it depends whether you want to buy now, with DL capability (3.5 hrs at DVD quality on one disc) and wait for when the discs are out in quantity at a good price...

bluray/hdvdv are only still a promise, and these will most likely be even more expensive, and need a new even more expensive recorder!! (and it looks like you may not be able to record anything worthwile, due to copy-protection built -in!!! )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom