1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR 920 H

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nicks1, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Nicks1

Nicks1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone out there any personal experience of this beast? Seen any reviews?
    I know it's a fairly new addition to their series and limited availability.

Saw one the other day linked up to Pioneer screen via HDMI - felt like I was actually in the movie!! Connectivity superb and monster 250 GB HDD on board!
    For the price tag, I would assume it's one of the best money can buy?

I have a Spheros TV with DVI connection in media box- can I go HDMI>>DVI using one connection or are they totally different formats?? Would this be as good as HDMI in and out?? Is this digital source really that much better than component analogue?

Any help appreciated.

2. Smollett

Smollett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I have had my 920H-s for around 4 weeks now, watching on a Pioneer 435XDE screen and it is amazing. Using HDMI link, and have finally managed to watch a few movies rather than spending time tweaking the settings - colours are very warm and picture brilliantly sharp. I don't think you'll have any problems with HDMI to DVI connection - I did it the other way round with a Samsung DVD player to my screen. You won't get sound that way, but picture should be as good and you are probably using external speakers anyway. I haven't compared component with HDMI directly and have no intention of doing so. I've seen one review in a new Home Cinema mag- can't remember which one. Gave it product of the Month rating.
    I was worried about it not being able to upscale images (i.e. stuck at 576p or whatever it is rather than 720 or 1080), but I compared it to the 868 and couldn't tell the difference.
    The recordings are of excellent quality from a Sky+ box, and rather surprisingly my amp interprets hard-drive material as having a pro-logic soundtrack and there is definitely a rear soundtrack audible. I thought it was only in stereo so is a bonus.
    Expensive but reasonably future-proofed (HD-DVD not with-standing). If you've got the cash go for it!

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Provided your DVI connection is HDCP compliant then they should work - end result would be identical other than no audio would be carried.

That is an ongoing argument across the internet at present! The answer, as always, is that it depends upon many factors! Best to look at the Plasma forum for comments from Hornydragon, MAW and Joe on that issue!

4. quinn45

quinn45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of questions about this machine if I may.

Do you use the EPG on this machine. If you do are you able to get it to record a few minutes before and after the EPG time. Must be annoying to set EPG to record then program overruns a minute cutting the end of the program off.

Also when you set the timer manually does it ony increment in 15 minute
    sets. Can I set it to record at 7:58pm or will it have to be 7:45pm or 8pm only.

And lastly if you set a manual bitrate when you setup the machine, each time you record a program do you have to flip round the option to this bitrate or will it remember this as your perference record in that bitrate unless you tell it otherwise. I will be a drag to set to record 10 program and have to manually flip it round to manual bitrate each time.

If all three answeres are yes I will be very tempted.

Quinn

5. Smollett

Smollett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'm not going to be much use there I'm afraid. TV watching is done on the LCD is the living room, and I take the DVD over every now and then to archive off Sky+. I have therefore not used the EPG at all since the 920 is really for DVD in its own home-cinema room (don't know how I talked my wife into that but it's fab). I record to the DVD via a decent scart lead, and then to DVD using the bitrate that allows around 2hrs for a DVD-R. I really haven't played round with any higher or lower values as yet. I know I'm underusing it at present, but will probably get Sky in the other room at some point and do want to transfer home movies to DVD.
    Sorry I can't specifically answer your questions.
    Smollett