1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-720H Linked to Freeview?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by quarksplace, Dec 8, 2004.

1. quarksplace

quarksplace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, Another newbie question.

I'm looking at getting the DVR-720 and it says it has a tuner scan but what I'd like to know can I hook my Pioneer On-Digital freeview box to it and get all the channels on the DVR so that I can set up all the timer recordings on the DVR.
    Or do I have to tune the DVR to one channel and then change the timer/channel on the freeview box?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. You can't set the 720 to the F'view Set Top Box channels.
    2. You connect the STB to the 720 AV2. and your TV to the 720 AV1
    3. There are two ways of achieving Freeview timer recording:

a) Set the timer on the Freeview box as appropriate and set the 720 timer as well, selecting input channel L1. Set the Freeview box a few mins early start and late finish so the 720 timer is 'inside' the Freeview one in case the clocks are slightly different.

b) Set the Freeview box timer, then turn it Off (standby). Then set the 720 to Auto Start, and when the Freeview box timer turns on the 720 will start automatically, providing the Freeview box supports it - most do.
    The snag with AutoStart is that if the DVR is left in this mode, then as soon as you turn on the STB manually - e.g. to watch TV, the DVR will start recording.

I think the Pioneer STB has s-video out on its recorder-out - this is better than composite for recording.

3. Cindoboy

Cindoboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have the DVR-920 and with that you are supplied a G link IR to enable a freeview box to be set through the built in guide fuction. That will enable the DVD to download the information from the freview box. Not sure if the DVR-720 can do that, it is just the same unit with a maller hard drive?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    The 920 is substantially different from the other models in Pioneer's DVD recorder range: it has decent build quality, a better MPEG encoder and the Magic Wand mentioned. No other Pioneer model currently offers any of this.