Pioneer DVR-720 + 505XDE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Moosh, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Hi all

I've just received my DVR-720 dvd recorder and am having "heaps of joy!" trying to get it to time record a Freeview channel. I've got AV1 of the 720 connected to Input 2 of the XDE media box and AV2 to Input 3 (Input 3 is HDMI enabled).

If I am watching BBC1 digital and press the "TV Direct Rec" it records the digital channel. Hooray! :clap:

But trying to get it to do a timed recording has got me stumped. It's all Pioneer equipment but the timed recording just doesn't work (well, it probably does but I haven't cracked it). Does anyone know how I get the plasma screen and the recorder to synchronise a timed recording please? :( I think I'm going to cry... ;)

Ta
    Moosh

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You may have to put the 720 in AutoStart mode.

3. gaz2810i

gaz2810i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I'm having the same problems please help us! can someone tell me what the auto start mode is and how to get the best out of it?

all help much appreciated

4. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Hi Gaz

As convoluted as it may sound, this is how you get the recorder to record whilst the plasma sreen is off...

1. The connections I describe in my original post are correct (Input 1 of the media box is connected to my PS2 that's why I'm using 2 and 3).
    2. Switch both the plasma screen and dvd recorder on.
    3. If you go to the Home Menu of the 720, my settings for Video In/Out read:
    Input Colout System - Auto
    AV1 Out - RGB
    AV2/L1 In - RGB
    NTSC on PAL TV - On

The important setting being for AV2/L1. If you have that on Decoder you can't use autostart.
    4. Exit the 720 menu and press the EPG button on the 505's remote.
    5. Scroll through the EPG and when you find the program you want to record press the Enter key.
    6. A confirmation will come up asking do you want to set the timer. Press enter to confirm Yes.
    7. Press Enter again to set the timer.
    8. At this stage you can press Return to return to the EPG and select another program to time or by pressing Return again get back to the channel you were watching.
    9. Once you have exited the EPG, press the Home Menu button on the 720's remote controller and select the Timer Recording option and press Enter.
    10. You should be presented with a menu that has Auto Start Recording as its last option. Select this and press Enter.
    11. You will see a confirmation saying that you are about to start recording. highlight the Yes option but DO NOT press Enter, yet!
    12. Put the plasma screen into stand by. You should notice another amber light on, on the media box
    13. Now press Enter on the 720's remote controller and the 720 should go into stand by.

A few seconds before the program is about to start the 720 will switch itself on and start recording.

You can switch the plasma screen back on whilst the programs are recording but you cannot change channels because of the one digital tuner. However, you can switch to analogue and watch whatever channel you want. I don't know that if you had a second Freeview box if you could watch that - anyone? :confused:

And you can safely put the screen into standby and not disrupt the recording.

Once your programs have finished recording and your 720 has gone back into stand by I believe you have to press the Stop Rec button on the 720's remote for 3 seconds or so. This will stop the auto record. Otherwise, when you switch the screen back on the 720 will start recording what you're watching - this is because the 720 is receiving a signal from the media box.

I'm guessing the above instructions should work with the 520, 420, 320 and the 435 displays as they have the same mechanics as the 720 and 535.

I had a lengthy conversation with Pioneer customer support (who were excellent :thumbsup: ) who informed me that the 920 has GuidePlus which:
    a. I know nothing about
    b. allows the 920 to communicate with the EPG better (the Pioneer blokeys words).

However, I couldn't justify the outlay for the 920 DVD recorder at the time and the 720 is more than adequate for me.

Anyway, hope that helps

Moosh