Pioneer DVR-7000 owners - some feedback please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Trailblazer XP, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Trailblazer XP

Trailblazer XP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I'm looking for some info regards the DVR-7000.

1: Can it record NTSC input through either component/s-vhs inputs?

2: VBR recording on a -rw disc - if I only wanted a half hour program/video recorded, would this fill up an entire disc,
    (4.5 Gb), or would it be less than 4.5 Gb.

I would like to be able to use VBR mode for desktop video/DVD authoring.

3: Anybody tried extracting a VBR file from a -RW disc via a PC's DVD-ROM drive? Were the results good/bad?

TIA.

TBXP.

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

1: Can it record NTSC input through either component/s-vhs inputs?

No not the UK version, only can play NTSC.

2: VBR recording on a -rw disc - if I only wanted a half hour program/video recorded, would this fill up an entire disc,
    (4.5 Gb), or would it be less than 4.5 Gb.

No it would not fill the disc, only to half way, the best quality setting is 1 Hour with a data rate of ~9.5Mbits/sec this is the maximum allowed to comply to DVD specifications.

If you recorded 1:30minutes, with some recorders (Philips) you would have to go to the two hour mode, leaving you with 30 minutes of space that would have been better spent filled with better quality video. The Pioneer gives you 32 steps, so you can select 1:30minutes as the recording time, so it would fill the disc at the best possible quality. You can also do this on the Panasonic machines (E20 need to set the timer, E30 gives you a similar option to the Pioneer).

I would like to be able to use VBR mode for desktop video/DVD authoring.

3: Anybody tried extracting a VBR file from a -RW disc via a PC's DVD-ROM drive? Were the results good/bad?

Yes people are doing this quite a lot. A few things you will need:

A DVD_ROM drive that can read UDF formatted DVD-RW discs (or better still the Pioneer A04).

Software reader that allows Windows to read the UDF file format, VOB InstantCD/DVD (packaged with retail version of A04) will give you this, or their free Reader from their site.

You then get just one file on the disc (not like multiple VOBs on commercial discs so a bit easier to manage) and can import this into DVD Workshop (or other authoring packages that support AC3 or Dolby Digital sound that the Pioneer records in.) Oh Windows seems to have a problem with files over 4Gbyte (not a FAT/NTFS issue) so this means ensuring the file is not over 4Gbyte, so instead of recording up to an hour, you may need to record slightly less on the DVD-RW.

This can then be authored and chaptered and written to DVD-R as a disc that plays anywhere without any re-encoding or loss of quality.

If you want to edit say with Premiere you need to do some more to make it easier, pop over to www.dv-info.net (the forum) and post a question there, I do not come here to often.

I used to capture analogue with a Pinnacle DV500, but got rid of this in favour of capturing analogue direct to DVD. The quality is much better than capturing via the DV500, even taking into account DVD being more compressed.

Oh, if you should use the Pioneer to record from the TV, do not use PDC as it doesn't work reliably on any channel apart from ITV, Pioneer are promising to check this out and get back to me, but this info could save you some disappointment and frustration.

Other than that it is very reliable and works just great with DVD-RW discs now costing about 90p!

Regards

Philip

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Do you mean DVD-RW disk or DVD-R. I thought DVD-RW disks were consideable more expensive than this and that DVD-R gen 3 are now about 90p.

Thanks.

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
  5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: