Quantcast

Pioneer DVR-630H Guide+ with Samsung 2110C STB

alex812

Standard Member
Anyone found a way to make the Pio 630 recognise/control a Samsung 2110C STB, which is the current STB being dished out by Virgin Media (NTL)?

When I go into the Guide+ set-up menu the only option under Virgin Media is Pace - isn't this way out of date?

If trying to get the Samsung 2110C work with the Pio 630 is a quest for the holy grail, then confirmation of this would save me a lot of messing about. I've also got Freesky and I'll concentrate on that route.

PS. Only interested in recording BBC1&2,ITV, Channels 4&5 if that's relevant.

Alex

GreenBars

I have a Pioneer DVR-440HX-S and a Samsung SMT-2110C and they work together perfectly. Choose Pace and use remote code 42.

alex812

Standard Member
Thanks for that Greenbars. Tried that and it works on code 42 first time around but then seems to stop. I can see the green light flashing on the Samsung but the channel doesn't switch. Why this is I've no idea.

How critical is placement of the IR transmitter? I'm assuming that as long as the Samsung light flashes it's getting the Pioneer's signal OK. I'm aiming the IR at the blank space just left of the Samsung display.

I'll go into lounge right now and try again (and again and again). If I can get it working reliably will the set-up automatically get the Guide+ info from Eurosport or do I have to route ITV analogue from my roof aerial?

Alex

alex812

Standard Member
More ...

Nope - just won't work reliably. Changes channel a few times like it should do and then just sticks. Powering the STB to standby then on again after 20 sec sometimes starts it working again.

Before my recent change from Virgin analogue to Virgin digital I had installed FreeSky - just switched all across to that and it seems to work OK. I'd rather have my primary source as Virgin but there seems to be some sort of incompatibility that I just can't find.

In the long term V+ is probably the best solution but the Pioneer is such an ace bit of kit I don't want to pension it off for a while yet. The other way I could explore is to front-end the Pioneer with a Freeview box.

Thanks for your help

Alex

GreenBars

Leave it in standby overnight and then try it again - it will need to download the GuidePlus info and possibly some updates from analogue ITV.

alex812

Standard Member
Too late. I reconfigured my set up to record from FreeSky. The IR thingy worked perfectly and Guide+ updated OK last night. I presume it got its info from ITV since Sky Eurosport is encoded.

The ITV (analogue) feed at present is a temporary lash-up from an old aerial in the loft connected directly into the Sky STB (Thompson DSI 4212). Now I'll rig up a more permanent feed from my roof aerial.

However, I think I was on a hiding to nowhere with the Samsung STB. It wasn't that the Guide+ info was at fault. It was just that the IR link wouldn't switch reliably.

Alex

GreenBars

I think I was on a hiding to nowhere with the Samsung STB. It wasn't that the Guide+ info was at fault. It was just that the IR link wouldn't switch reliably.
I'd still give it another try if I was you - works perfectly for me and I have the same STB and I'm sure the GuidePlus set-up is the same.