Pioneer DVR-530H-s just arrived

Harlen Quinn said:
Hello everyone.

I've been looking for a dvd recorder with a hd and this looks just the ticket. I've been struggling to decide whether to go for a capable cheapy or a bells and whistles top of the range job and have considered everything from the Panasonic DMR500/DMRE95 right through to the Pioneer DVR 920. My problem was that the cheapies didn't seem quite capable enough or too expensive and the bells and whistles ones seemed, well, just too expensive. This model really does seem to be a capable cheapy, ok it's not future proof but at that price I really don't care. Finally a machine capable of recording what I want from the TV and a means of archiving my DV camcorder movies. I'm not really one for going into full PC editing...

Just one question, how easy is it to multi-region this machine?

Thanks. :)

New to dvd recorders so whats lacking on this recorder to make it futureproof?. Are there any ways of adapting it for use later when technology has moved on? Thanks for any help.

DJE55 said:
New to dvd recorders so whats lacking on this recorder to make it futureproof?. Are there any ways of adapting it for use later when technology has moved on? Thanks for any help.

Futureproof is a very big word.

However, the only thing really missing is a Freeview tuner and I've just added a Goodmans GDB3 for £45 and it works flawlessly with the G-Link cable. You can use this without the GuidePlus (for the person who asked earlier). You go to the Manual Timer, choose your external receiver and dial in the programme number. You can even press the Yellow button which takes you to icons of all the channels and choose the one you want.

Buying a HD DVD recorder isn't like the old VHS/Betamax days. When you've recorded something and finalised it, it should be able to play in most peoples DVD players.

The Pioneer 420 and 530 meet my needs perfectly. I record a lot of programmes off TV and from a camcorder. I then edit them to death and make masters onto the DVD recorder.

Of course there are technologies like Blue Ray on the horizon but when it comes to HD recording, editing and transferring to DVD it doesn't come much better than the Pioneer models with an external STB box.

DMPoole

thanks for the reply and the explanation. The only other issue is that I've just bought a Tevion 32in LCD which has a dvi input and I know from the thread for this tv (up to 64 pages now!!!)that you can connect from a dvi or a HDMi output which seems to be connections Im reading more about on the specs of several products. I know some of the guys from that thread are also connecting hi def dvd players via the dvi connection. Am I correct in saying the Pioneer hasnt got either of these connections. Will this be a problem in the near future. Thanks again for any explanations you can give

DJE55 said:
DMPoole

thanks for the reply and the explanation. The only other issue is that I've just bought a Tevion 32in LCD which has a dvi input and I know from the thread for this tv (up to 64 pages now!!!)that you can connect from a dvi or a HDMi output which seems to be connections Im reading more about on the specs of several products. I know some of the guys from that thread are also connecting hi def dvd players via the dvi connection. Am I correct in saying the Pioneer hasnt got either of these connections. Will this be a problem in the near future. Thanks again for any explanations you can give

This is pretty much what I was referring to when I said futureproof. To be honest, at the price it's going for it's a steal. I believe the only dvd recorder to have the HDMi output is the Pioneer's much more expensive big brother, the 920. I'm assuming the other connection isn't present either but at the price and as I don't have a compatible display at the moment it really isn't an issue for me.

Harlen Quinn said:
Just one question, how easy is it to multi-region this machine?

Thanks. :)
Hi,

I'm also interested in an answer to this question. As most places are selling it multi-region, can someone who's got one from LX Direct say if theirs is multi-region or am I hoping for too much? :)

Many thanks.

[edit.] Re. the original question, I contacted multiregionupgrades and they say that they'll have a mod shortly.

Got my Pioneer 530 being delivered on Monday. I know that dvd+r dual layer disks have been around for a while but this machine uses dvd-r dual layer. Havent been able to find any suppliers yet - can anyone help with suggestions and at a reasonable price

Sooo... about multi-region... can the DVR-530H-S play region 1s straight off; is there something that needs to be added or is just a matter of adjustimg the settings? And is there a timer recording facility for TV programmes? Real beginner here, so these might be dumb questions :)

just orderd one from lx, too good to miss this. Another code you can use is xx5555 this puts you in a £1000 draw.

I'd be interested in comparisions with the old range. I currently have the 520 and was considering "upgrading" to the new Pioneer range.

However, I wasn't too impressed at the changes to the user interface when I read through the PDF manual I downloaded. One of the key features that helped me to decide on the 520 was the easy-to-use and simple menu system since other family members will have to use it.

From what I can tell, it seems to have been "upgraded" to be more complex and clumsy. For example, the "Copy" list has changed from a simple split display of multiple thumbnails to a single text-based list of titles and a wizard style "Next" system.

I usually add a single title, edit it (erase sections, divide etc) and then add the next title. Looking at the manual, if you go back to an existing copy list, it jumps straight to the screen where you manipulate the list, skipping the one where you add the titles. How do you add more titles without deleting the list and starting again?

Can anyone with the new model comment on how easy the new menu system is, especially if you used the old one?

I've a 420 about a year and really don't see the benefit of an upgrade. I'll wait for Freeview built in. Incidentally, I looked at the 530 manual too and agree the user interface seems to have changed for the worse.The x20 series just seems so easy.

I have both and there is good and bad things.

#1 niggle - There is no ADD CHAPTER button on the remote which I used all the time.
You have to go through the DISK NAVIGATOR system to do it.

#1 plus point - The new DISK NAVIGATOR is very straightforward and is better in my opinion.
You choose your film > right arrow > and the menu is laid out better.
The EDITING functions are slightly different but straight forward and you still press RETURN to go back.

#2 niggle - The MANUAL TIMER on the 530 is radically different to the 420.

The 420's MANUAL TIMER (TIMER REC on the remote) is so straight forward. Everything is in front of you on one page. The TIMER REC button on the 530 takes you to 3 different TIMERS : GUIDE PLUS, VIDEOPLUS and MANUAL TIMER. There is an EASY TIMER that can be got through the HOME MENU.
I spent about 30 mins getting used to the MANUAL TIMER just inputting everything so it was 2nd nature and it is OK but not as good as the 420's MANUAL TIMER.

#2 plus point - Last night I decided to use GUIDEPLUS and what a clever way of doing things. You choose your programme from a grid and press the RED button - thats it. I then went to the main page and EDITED the timings so that (if no overlapping) I could extend by 10 mins which I did. That was a really easy way of setting the timer.

#3 plus point - I've setup a GOODMANS GD3 STB to work with the G-LINK cable and it works a treat. This sends a signal to your STB and changes the channel when the timer kicks in.

#4 plus point - the COPY TO HDD function.
This uses the same menu has the DISK NAVIGATOR.
You add your films and go to the next page. Here you click on the one you want to EDIT and everything is laid out neatly for all tasks. You press RETURN and EDIT the next one if you want. Once that is all done you go to the burning screen where you can set the name of the disk, the recording mode and set it to finalise and choose your menu here. You have to do the finalising seperate on the 420.

#5 plus point - On the DISK NAVIGATOR screen you can see the size in GB of each film (which is useful)

Any info on the 530's multi-region-ness? It'll record PAL/ NTSC but what about playing Region 1s? I don't wanna end up with something that's billed as multi-region but won't play the damn things, as happened with a Tosh I've had to send back.

Griffer said:
Any info on the 530's multi-region-ness? It'll record PAL/ NTSC but what about playing Region 1s? I don't wanna end up with something that's billed as multi-region but won't play the damn things, as happened with a Tosh I've had to send back.

Just put a region 1 in mine and it doesn't play it.

ive just ordered myself a 530 dmpoole u said u have set up a GOODMANS GD3 STB using the g-link cable what else did u have to buy apart from the STB

thanks wallzy

dmpoole said:
Just put a region 1 in mine and it doesn't play it.

Its definetly being advertised as multi region so Im going to contact Pioneer tom,orrow to confirm.

wallzy said:
ive just ordered myself a 530 dmpoole u said u have set up a GOODMANS GD3 STB using the g-link cable what else did u have to buy apart from the STB

thanks wallzy

A SCART cable

DJE55 said:
Its definetly being advertised as multi region so Im going to contact Pioneer tom,orrow to confirm.

The Pioneer page makes no reference to multi region - http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=10728&taxonomy_id=45-133

The manual makes these references -

• Incompatible region number.
The disc loaded has an incompatible region number for the
recorder and so will not play.

Regions (DVD only)
(example region code marks)
Regions associate discs and players with particular
areas of the world. This unit will only play discs that have
compatible region codes. You can find the region code of
your unit by looking on the rear panel. Some discs are
compatible with more than one region (or all regions).

I think you are looking at adverts by shops who can sell it modified like my 420 was by Richer Sounds.

DJE55 said:
I've read elsewhere that Pioneer state that they don't produce any multi-region products but they are aware that some vendors do offer modifications to enable multi-region playback. As I understand it, a disc-based flash firmware upgrade will be necessary and you'll need to get it done by a vendor or a supplier of multi-region upgrades - my guess is that it'll cost £20 (as a diy option) from the latter.

wallzy said:
cheers m8 looks like ill be buying on of these STB's aswell

wallzy
You may like to check what type of video-out an STB has.

1. Some only have one scart which can be annoying if you want to connect to a TV and a recorder. but that can be overcome by 'passing through' on the recorder (i.e. STB > recorder > TV).

2. However many scarts there are, you may want to get better quality than Composite video. I think most STBs now have RGB from the TV-out.

3. If you get an STB with 2 scarts, the one for the recorder may only deliver composite video. None delivers RGB from the recorder-out, but a few provide s-video - I know of Pioneer, Philips and Sony, there may be others. I don't know about the GDB3.

4. Be careful of the Sony. It's a nice box but only delivers s-video to 'compatible' Smartlink recorders (otherwise it switches itself to Composite and you can't do anything about it). I've never seen a list of 'compatible' .recorders. Someone here may know if the 530 qualifies.

The gb3 has twin scart sockets. thanks for the heads up

wallzy

Ordered mine on the 5th, they said 27th for delivery, but arrived today! Got it waiting for me at home. Got it as I cant have Sky+ in my flat, so cant wait to use it!!

Any suggestions on a STB for Freeview to use with it?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom