1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-530H-s just arrived

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmpoole, Jun 29, 2005.

1. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I bought a Pioneer DVR-420H last november and its one of the best toys I've had. I was that chuffed that I've been saving up for another and saw the 433 and 530 were available. My mate said that he ordered the 530 for £349 and I told him - no way. I've looked all over the net and got nowhere near this price. He then sent me here - http://www.littlewoods-online.com/r...tem_id=15&Mis_item_loc_id=1&product=273055471 and I ordered mine through him. He's waved his 10% commission so I've got it for £315 :) I've just been setting his up and for those with 420, 520's etc the menus are slightly different but you get loads more for your money.

I'm well chuffed.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why, oh why, won't Pioneer fit digital (Freeview) tuners? Then I might replace my 420.
    Rasczak said it's because they have small market share. Well, I reckon it will approach zero if they're not careful.
    At one stage it looked as if they'd discontinued their STB with no replacement, but it's now back on their website?

OTOH, they may have something amazing waiting in the wings....

3. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Freeview was a factor for my purchase but since I've got NTL Digital and a freeview box it didn't really matter. There is a lead called G-Link with it which changes the channels on my NTL box - can't see me using it though.

4. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dmpoole

I live in area where is no GuidePlus available.

Does G-Link work even if GuidePlus is unavailable?

Please tell me, what happens if postal code in GuidePlus doesn't set:
    1. Can you set timer recordings manually with GuidePlus?
    2. Can you use G-Link to control external tuner when timer recording is starting?

ArtS

5. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    There are 4 ways of programming the Timer -
    Guide Plus
    VideoPlus
    Manual Timer (this has been changed from the 420/520)
    Easy Timer

I don't know the answer to number 2 - yet.

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Having had a go at Pioneer, I got thinking and downloaded the 530 manual.
    My question is essentially the same as ArtS:

The manual says GuidePlus is only on ITV (analogue) in the UK. So if you set the 530 timer can you select a Freeview channel so that the 530 will turn on then use the G-link cable to set a Freeview box to that channel?
    It is clear that GuidePlus Program Guide isn't essential to set a timer.
    And how do you specify what freeview box you have - there are so many (e.g. I have Grundig GDT1000)?

I admit I'm sceptical of IR transmitters to work external boxes, which is one reason I rejected the Toshiba RDXS32 and bought a Pioneer 420.

One wonders if it wouldn't be easier to put the tuner(s) in the recorder instead of all this IR circuitry. I suppose It's being done so Pioneer can use one set of circuitry regardless of the external box type (Freeview, satellite, cable).

7. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for response, dmpoole, but...

As you probably know, GuidePlus can be disabled by omiting the Postal Number in its setup (see last FAQ on page 48 of the manual).
    I suppose, you have GuidePlus active (so you can use timer recording thanks to GuidePlus EPG).

My question is about situation when GuidePlus have to be disabled because it is not available in my area.

So, I would like to know, if:
    1. It is possible to set external tuner channels in GuidePlus Editor Area if GuidePlus is inactive (see page 46 of the manual).
    2. It is possible to use manual timer recording if GuidePlus is inactive (see page 45 of the manual).
    3. (I know, you don't know this yet... but...) it is possible to setup and use G-Link if GuidePlus is inactive (see page 28 of the manual);

Thanks for your help.

8. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It is supposed to change the channels on the box. When you setup your external box there are loads to choose from. I couldn't get the G-Link cable close to my NTL box so I couldn't set it up. If it doesn't do it with the presets then you can leave it on overnight until it finds them - like a learning remote.

9. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    1. You have to wait up to 24 hours for the Guide Plus channels to come onto your Pioneer and at the moment all the channels are showing no programs. Personally I can't see how you can set anything with Guide Plus if nothing comes up.

2. Yes

3. Don't know.

10. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Update-
    There are 25 freeview boxes to choose from
    100 satellite boxes including Sky Digital and Sky Plus
    and 25 cable boxes

11. lee3272

lee3272

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    just got mine today super machine still got to play with it xp mode is top notch but only 36 hours sp is ok but i will use xp very easy to use and u can scan for 3 external decoders seperate picked up my dbox which i was suprised still waiting for the guide to come through but for £303 delivered whos moaning

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Here's how I do timer recordings, from Freeview, with my Pioneer 520. I suppose the same thing applies to the new ones, but obviously I can't confirm it.

Freeview box SCART 2 output connected to the Pioneer AV2/L1 input.

I set the recording timer in the Freeview box. I set the Pioneer into "Auto Start Recording" mode. That's it.

13. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, 530 and 630 doesn't have Auto Rec feature.

14. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Is the dbox you refer to the Dream Box or Digital Box because I have a Dream Box?

15. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Wheres that from?

16. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I chose Pioneer (420) parly because of AutoStart. But there are two snags:

1. My Freeview box only has Composite from its Scart2 (recorder-out), and as I use RGB from its Scart 1 (TV-out) the pic quality change is unacceptable.
    The TV-out of the STB cannot be used as it is not activated when the F'view box turns on from standby. A new F'view box with s-video from the recorder out would help.

2. You can only set the recorder to AutoStart if the F'view box is in Standby, which means remembering to turn the box Off and the 420 to AutoStart at the appropriate time. This is fiddly as you have to turn the 420 On and use the Menu system to set AutoStart. There should have been a button on the remote (like Panasonic External Link).

Obviously you are happy with this, but I'm afraid I gave up after a few tries and now use the two timers and RGB pass through on the 420. The 7-day EPG and Video-plus make it fairly easy, although the inaccuracy of program timing means going into the timers and extending the start and finish times. This would happen with GuidePlus too, but only one timer to alter.

It's a real dogs dinner really :(

I'd still choose a Pioneer DVD/HDD because of their recording flexibility and the editing capabilities. Just want one with a Freeview tuner. Perhaps the solution (if I were replacing the 420) is a G-link compatible Freeview box - Pioneer presumably. My Grundig GDT1000 isn't on the list on http://www.europe.guideplus.com/

17. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    My old ON-Digital box gives RGB via the TV out. This is the connector I use. This old box's only purpose is as a slave to the Pioneer. This old box does power up fully when an event occurs.

I'd quite like something smaller, quicker and up to date. So I tried a Sagem ??-64. Great, except that the output - when initiated from a timer event - was centre cutout 4x3 - regardless of the menu settings, and despite it being true 16x9 when switched on manually. I wonder sometimes where these firms recruit their software writers. Ho Hum.

18. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I thought of another STB so I could have one dedicated to the 420, but I think I'd be banished if I put another box under the TV, more cables and another remote (no. 7) on the table.

As for the software - I agree. And you may have seen one of my posts about Sony STB only delivering s-video to "compatible" smartlink recorders (not even all Sonys match) from its Recorder-out. Otherwise it defaults to Composite and can't be switched manually!

19. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just got one of these machines, what a machine, it is a bit of a shame that it do not have a DTTV tuner, but since I already got a Thomson PVr, then it is not a real problem.
    I use the G-link with my sky box and it works fantastic as long as I remember that the sky box must be switched on,.
    I can not get the g-link to work with the Thomson PVr, but it is not really important.

there are a few niggles with the machine, but nothing that I can not cope with.

20. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Interested to know what your niggles are.

21. lee3272

lee3272

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  22. blatisingh

blatisingh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i paid £270 from lxdirect, by using a 10% of voucher :rotfl:
    But becuase im a nice bloke heres the voucher for all to use!
    XX169

Rups

23. Tharksha

Tharksha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I received my pioneer 530h 2 days ago. I bought it for 299 pounds from LX Direct. Very easy to set up. Quality recording and playback int he SP mode. I am very satisfied with this model for this price.

24. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Blimey, I thought I'd got a bargain at £315
    If it wasn't for my mate I nearly went to Superfi and paid £449.

25. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    blatisingh - cheers for that. I have just ordered a Pio 530 for £270!

I have spent months reading reviews and comparing Panny,Tosh and Sony. I saw your post this morning and just decided that it was too good a priice to miss. £270 for a DVD recorder with HQ+, DVD-R DL, Guide plus+, STB control, DV-in, over 3 hours full dvd res, etc is an excellent price. Certainly beats the £290ish prices I had been looking at for the Sony 510 and Panny EH50 - which both have smaller HDD and no DVin. I wasn't interested in waiting for models with digital tuners as I cannot get Freeview where I live.

I'm just hoping that there is no major flaw in the 530 to spoil the fun...

26. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It really is a fantastic machine.
    At the moment I've recorded the Pool Championships for a mate.
    I've cut all the adverts out, divided the film into an intro, the seperate 18 frames, the outro and named them all.
    Since they're divided they are chaptered anyway.
    This will then be burned with a nice Menu.

My main niggles are the new Manual Timer over the one on the 420.
    The insert chapter button is missing off the remote compared to the 420.
    I wish it could Auto Chapter in video mode but I have to do them myself manually.

27. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My main niggle is that it do not change the T.V to Av when I switch the unit on, it could be due to the fact that I use a auto scart switch box, but all the other stuff I use works fine.

My t.v keeps going to 4:3 instead of 16:9, so I have to keep adjusting it every time I switch on the DVD recorder, it could be a setting in the box, but I do not think so.

It is a pity that I can not copy m,p3s from a Cd directly to the hard drive, it will only copy CDA files.

It is not possible to rename audio tracks, only the cd title.

As I said nothing major and the unit is still a fantastic piece of equipment/

28. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Soon as I press play my TV turns to AV so perhaps it is the Auto Scart.

There is a setting in the Pioneer Menu for the screen size under PLAYBACK > TV Screen Size.

29. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    At the bottom RH side of your remote is a button labelled TV/DVD (top right on the 420 remote). Push this and make sure the machine is set to DVD mode. On the 420 it shows up on the front display, and on the TV screen if the TV is on.

This seems to force the 420 to Composite output and no auto switchng if it's in TV mode. I've no idea why and neither had the Tech Help guy at Pioneer who helped me fix it, but it solved the problem. I assume the 530 is the same.

30. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm having problems with my G-Link and NTL Pace digi box.
    I've tried everything with no luck (or I think I have).
    I've been through all the Menus and tried all the Pace receivers with and without Red-Eye!.

Any ideas or a better place on here to ask the question?