Pioneer DVR-530H-S annoyances

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BrianF, Oct 28, 2005.

1. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased mine over the Internet from Germany (€430). It arrived Tuesday with the box damaged and the unit out of position - dropped from a height I should think. Even so, the unit itself has no signs of damage and it seems to work OK.
    During setup, I have noticed some unexpected oddities. I live in Belgium and use a Sky Digibox (FTV) as well as the local cable. The first oddity is that, with the Digibox VCR Scart connected to AV2 and the widescreen TV connected to AV1, the picture received from the DVR is squashed sideways into a 4:3 screen display. (During initial setup, a 16:9 screen format was specified.) If I record from the Digibox onto the HDD, the playback is displayed as a correctly proportioned widescreen image in a 4:3 screen; in other words, black all around the picture. I called Pioneer UK about this and they told me it is normal and is due to Sky transmissions not being in the usual international format. (So how come my Sony TV displays the images correctly via the Digibox TV Scart?). Furthermore, widescreen signals received by the DVR on the Belgian cable and relayed to the TV via AV1, are displayed in full widescreen format.
    The second oddity is that I cannot download the EPG from Eurosport (410). Pioneer UK say this is because there has to be a co-ax connection from the Digibox as well as the Scart - impossible for me because my co-ax and the DVR are set up for the Belgian cable. There is no indication in the DVR User Guide that a co-ax connection is necessary.
    All in all, I am disappointed before I have even started to use the recording facilities of this unit but are other DVRs just as difficult?
    Has anyone else encountered similar problems?

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,234
    The widescreen switching signal is only output from the TV scart on all Sky digiboxes.

3. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why are you using the VCR scart? You should be using the TV output to the recorder and then on to the TV. You will only get composite video from the VCR scart.

4. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How right you are. I swapped the Scarts and the DVR now outputs the format flag. Why on earth didn't Pioneer suggest that? They simply blamed Sky and said the DVR only delivers a 4:3 picture from AV1.
    In my ignorance, I had no idea the signals are different on the two Scarts - no mention is made of it in any of the user guides.
    Of course, it now means I am obliged to have the DVR on when viewing satellite channels and to have the TV set to the DVR input because, when the DVR is in stand-by, the TV reverts to 4:3 format.
    Thanks for your help.

5. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You should be able to watch Sky in 16:9 with the recorder in standby, I do it all the time. If you get 4:3 are you watching analogue channels? Check the TV/DVD button on the remote control to ensure you are getting scart loop-through.

6. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It's because the EPG needs the analogue teletext stream - some digiboxes dont pass this thru - some do - you may find R/F out (coax) on the back of your tuner - otherwise you could get a cable splitter and put one end straight into the recorder - that should work (does in UK cable)

7. imagineers

imagineers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

8. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    " I called Pioneer UK about this and they told me it is normal and is due to Sky transmissions not being in the usual international format."

From memory :
    There are two ways of transmitting WS signals - Active Format Descriptor(AFD) and a Line 23 switching signal which involves Pin 8 on the scart socket.
    Sky only uses AFD whereas NTL uses both.

9. MikeMcr

MikeMcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  10. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

11. imagineers

imagineers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

12. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have nothing in the Editor and presume that is because, so far, nothing has been downloaded.

13. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You did such a great job advising me about the Scarts, I wonder if you have any ideas on why I cannot download the Guide Plus+ EPG? See my other thead 'Pioneer DVR-530H-S - Devastating News'.

14. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panic seems to be over! I rebooted my Digibox this morning and suddenly I have a channel list in my Guide Plus+ grid. Presumably the programme schedule will now download during the night.

15. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've said this over and over on these forums and I don't know why people are having a problem with the EPG. If you can get Guideplus in your area then you just put your Pioneer in STANDBY mode. Thats it. You don't have to even set the tuner to ITV or any other channel. In fact mine is nearly always set to L1 which is my satellite Dreambox and that certainly doesn't help to download the EPG.

Make sure you have an aerial cable in the Pioneer and set it to Standby.
    Simple.

16. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would add that the internal tuner must have been tuned in initially though, as stated, need not be selected.

17. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The aerial cable is all very well if you live in the UK but I am on the continent.

I agree with you that the 530 may do its stuff automatically after the first download but, unless you configure it correctly during initial setup, it won't know where to look for the EPG. In my case, it would have to scan all of the cable channels and then all of the satellite channels. In any case, there was obviously something wrong with my Digibox that took a reboot to resolve. The 530 was simply not finding any EPG.

18. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. Within minutes of installing my Pioneer last Thursday, I switched it into Standby and then almost immediately EPG came up on the display and went on for about 20 minutes after which I had a look at the EPG and quite a lot had been filled in.

Later that afternoon it came on again for a much longer period which I had to interrupt as I wanted to use the recorder! However I knew that further updates would be downloaded overnight and so was very pleased with its operation.
    :)

19. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I never even gave that a thought.
    I always assumed that everybody on here came from the UK and they all had aerials :)

20. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Note on SCART RGB pass-through on VCRs. I am ABSOLUTELY certain that some VCRs (my Philips included) can pass RGB signal from one of its SCARTs to the other, not just composite video...of course, it can record only from composite input but it most certainly passes RGB through, so the initial poster wasn't all in wrong to pass the digibox via VCR to the DVD recorder...cheers...