1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-530H-S. A cry for help!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Markkfc9, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned one of these for about 3 weeks now and in principal love it. My problem which is driving me absolutely nuts is recording from HDD to DVD. At best it can be described as erratic. The problems seem to be mainly when using high speed recording. The recording will usually start then at some point it will flash up "repair disc" then "couldn't repair disc" = coaster. (according to the manual this is meant to be due to a power loss which just doesn't happen) Also if it does manage to complete copy it won't finalise or if it does it can't read the disc it has made.

In my frustration I have tried the following (all DVD- of course) - Datasafe 4x R & 8x R, Datawrite yellow 4 x R, Datasafe printable 8x R, Verbatim 6x RW, Mitsubishi 1-2X RW, Mitsubishi 4 x R, TDK scratchproof 2 x RW. At best I am getting a 50% success rate with High speed and some optimised are also failing.

I am about to send it back but before I do can anyone tell me-

1) Has anyone had success with these media.
    2) If not what media have you had success with?
    3) Is High speed copying generally more unreliable?
    4) Could the machine be faulty.

I really want to keep it but can't afford to at this rate!

Anybodies help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

I would definitely say option 4).

I've had no problems with 1), 2) and 3).

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Call Pioneer and ask for Technical Support. I and others have found them very helpful.
    The main number is 01753 789 789

4. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a reply from Pioneer support who confirm they feel machine is faulty & to return to seller. Contacted LX Direct who take 48 hours to arrange return.

Here is my dilemma and I would really appreciate as many people as possible responding - do I try to get another Pioneer DVR-530H-s, change to a Toshiba RDX-34 or just take my money back. This is purely from a disc burning perspective - My faith has been dented with the high number of coasters so my plea is to owners of both machines.

Please let me know your burning successes and failures i.e what discs work with each machine and what ones don't & do you experience many coasters?

This would be a huge help to me and I guess would be very useful information to share on this forum.

A huge thanks to anyone who helps me.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Not had a problem with the 530H. Best DVD recorder I have come across yet. Just get a replacement.

6. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few have had problems with the XS34 as well.

I have had HD read errors and the full res recording ends at 2Hr 20Min!!

Great for editing but wish it had a better encoder to get full res to at least 3Hrs or even 4Hrs like Panasonic.

7. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You've had a pig in a poke. Get a replacement. I understand what you're going through but I've never had a problem with either of my 420 or 530 with ANY type of discs.

8. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LXDirect do not have any 530's in stock. When mine went faulty a fortnight ago I was told on Thursday I would get a call back. Nobody called till I complained on Saturday then I got a call just saying the machine would be collected on Tuesday, no opportunity to discuss the possibility of a replacement.

No one came on Tuesday so re-arranged for Thursday. No one came on Thursday so re-arranged for Monday. Courier came and collected machine on Friday, lucky I was in. Two hours later another courier came to collect the machine.

I am also wondering whether to get another 530 or go for the XS34.

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Personally I think that the dual layer potential of the Pioneer is a swinger for me.

I have an XS32 and I really doubt (as much as I love it) whether I would opt for a single layer writer now.

10. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for everyones help. Spoke to LX Direct who have arranged uplift on Monday. Thankfully they seem to have soem in stock so I have gone for the Pioneer again. As I said at the start in principal I loved it and as long as I don't experience the same burning problems I am looking forward to the new one coming (as long as I don't have the same problms as Phantom Phixer).

Thanks again.