Pioneer DVR-530H - noisy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skyline32, Sep 21, 2005.

1. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got one of these to replace a broken Tosh XS32. The Tosh was noisy in that the fan made an audible "air rushing" noise, which I could live with.

But the Pioneer makes a kind of vibrating noise. Not at first - when I first turn it on I can hear the disk spin up, then the rattle as the heads load. Then 3-4 seconds later there's an ascending rrrrrrrrr noise, like a loose bearing.

When I turn it off again the noise rises in pitch briefly before stopping as the machine shuts down.

Is this typical or do I have a bad 'un?

2. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can now confirm the noise is the PSU fan. I think the manufacturing tolerance may be out on this one and the fan body is wobbling on the shaft.

3. tone20

tone20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine makes a little noise too. I think it's normal.

4. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did check the long thread on the 530 before buying, and one person said it was inaudible except for disk rattles when recording, and then you had to put your ear right next to it. That's not the experience with this one.

It's not as loud as the XS32 but more annoying since it's more mechanical.

I called Pioneer this morning who say that it shouldn't be like that.

I called Empire Direct to arrange a replacement. I had hoped that they would just swap it, but no. They will collect it and, get this, "one of their engineers will decide if it's faulty". If so they will send a replacement, if not they will send it back to me.

But noise is subjective! What if their engineer is a cloth-ear whose hearing was damaged by too many rock concerts as a kid?

At least I keep my right to return under the DSR if they do decide it's "within tolerances", though I expect I'll have to pay shipping charges in that instance.

5. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After Empire lost the returned unit, then found it again after a few day's delay, they finally got round to comparing it to another sample and say they are identical. So I should get it back Tuesday, nearly two weeks after it was first delivered.

So if anyone else decides to buy a machine that others say is quiet, beware they may not have the same hearing sensitivity as you!

I think when I get it back I'll run it with the lid off and the fan disconnected. My Tosh XS32 seems to be just fine running like that.

6. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 630H does make a noise that is audible when the TV is off. Sort of like a VCR when it is "idling"

I am likely to exchange it for a panasonic shortly and will report any difference in noise

7. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to run a little hotter than the Tosh but I think it would be OK with the fan disconnected, but for another problem - which I can't remember existing before I sent it back but does now.

Every 20-25 seconds there is a distinct clunk from the hard drive. Very strange, it's not the high pitched ticking you get when the heads load, much lower pitch. Obviously with the lid off this would be even more obtrusive.

It's possible, though fiddly, to disconnect the power from the fan, DVD drive and hard drive independently so I can confirm the clunk is from the hard drive.

It looks like a standard Seagate 160Gb IDE drive. Getting it out could be a problem since there is a ribbon cable crossing it from the front panel to a circuit board at the rear, hopefully once the drive tray screws are out the drive tray might slide forward enough for the cable to be unplugged.

Interestingly the drive is held to the tray by silver coated sticky tape!

Given that Samsung Spinpoint drives are much quieter than other brands and I think I have a spare one somewhere it would be an interesting experiment to swap. The machine seems to start up with the drive powered off so it may be that the firmware is in flash rather than loaded from the drive (as is the case with the XS32 for example).

I have a new fan from Maplin but it has no connectors and I'm having trouble sourcing them. They look a bit like the connectors on the end of the audio cable you use to connect a CD drive to a sound card, except with two pins instead of four. If anyone knows where to get these I'd be grateful.

8. tone20

tone20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be VERY interesting if you do put a different harddrive in it. I would love to drop a 300Gb drive in mine!

Let us know how you get on.

A quick, un-related question... Does anybody know how to access the variable bit rate recording mode on this machine? It's a spec that's on the Pioneer site, but not on the machine! (not that I can find!)

9. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When my first 530 failed after a week I took it to a Pioneer Service Centre. Whiile there I asked about replacing the drive and was told that a new drive has to setup using a service CD otherwise it will not work. This is the case even if the drive is identical to the original.

10. MikeMcr

MikeMcr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    That is Seagate's offline SMART check; all their new drives do that and it can't be disabled. It is very annoying and I removed a Seagate drive from my PC due to that. Modern Seagate drives are very poor noise wise; ever since they had to remove the acoustic management due to a court case.