Pioneer DVR-530 menu format

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BrianF, Dec 28, 2006.

1. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way to display the menus (Disk Navigator, Home and Guide) in widescreen format?
    My daughter has just purchased a DVR-540 and that has the menus in 16:9 but she doesn't know if she configured it or if that is how it is as standard.
    My machine only displays the menus in 4:3 and I have not found any way to change it.

2. miceri

miceri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have the DVR-520, and it displays menus in 'Wide' (Pioneer plasma switches to this view from 'Full' automatically).

I don't recall setting the menu display output seaprately from the general player options, just set the entire unit to output via 16:9...

3. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange! Even if I am watching a programme in wide screen format and I press one of the menu buttons, it comes up in 4:3 format. Maybe the TV (Sony) is not adapting correctly but I can't see why that would be as it adapts to all the different formats that we have on our cable network.
    Another (unlikely) possibility is that I purchased the DVR-530H from Germany, where they do not have wide screen broadcasts. I don't see why that would only affect the menus though.

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

How do you have the recorder connected to your TV? If you are using progressive scan output, then progressive scan doesn't support the widescreen switching code in the picture.

Widescreen switching only works with S-Video/Composite/RGB or interlaced component outputs.

Regards

Phil

5. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not using progressive scan. I have the outputs set to RGB and I am only using Scarts. Everything seems to work correctly, except for the 4:3 menus.

6. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be a little more clear - the Home Menu does come up in 16:9 format but the Disk Navigator and Guide menus and some others are in 4:3.

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    There are different versions of the DVR-530...DVR-530H-AV, DVR-530H-S,
    DVR-530H-S (Continental) and DVR-530H-S (UK)
    Which is yours?

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

I have just had a look at the system menus here on the Pioneer's and they are all 4:3, they don't have different menu dimensions for wide screen as far as I can see.

I would suspect on the home menu it comes up as "WIDE" simply because the video being shown behind is "WIDE", but when you go off elsewhere they are 4:3. It then depends on how the TV handles stretching, the disc navigator screen on mine tends to lose the edges as the TV blows it up to fill the 16:9 frame, it never is trigger as "WIDE" now come to think of it.

Regards

Phil

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    That's what I was thinking too.
    The OPs daughter may have her screen stretched.

10. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The front panel says DVR-530H and it was purchased from Germany. However, the purchase order says it is a DVR-530H-S so presumably the continental version of that.

11. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's quite possible. They have a Panasonic 42 inch plasma TV and I have noticed that the image proportions are not correct on some stations.

12. BrianF

BrianF
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now had the opportunity to do some more extensive checks and it seems you are absolutely correct. I normally leave the TV on 4:3 format with 'Auto format' switched on. This means that the TV will detect and adjust to 16:9 or 4:3 transmissions correctly. On cable, BBC transmissions are 14:9 and they appear as postage stamp format. The 'Home' menu from the DVR-530H-S (continental) does indeed follow the received format whereas the 'Disk navigator' and 'Guide' menus always appear as 4:3.
    Thanks for all the helpful responses which have enabled me to rationalise the situation.