Pioneer DVR 530 - Faulty or just me?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thickorwhat, Jul 14, 2005.

1. thickorwhat

thickorwhat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading all the posts re this model I decided to buy from LXDirect; seemed like an excellent buy and it arrived Monday. Spent Tuesday reading the manual - so I wouldn’t make any mistakes - and Wednesday trying to set it up : Nae luck :thumbsdow
    On the initial set up there are several features (according to the manual) that simply do not appear on screen, eg screen type does not have the options as stated in the manual; progressive scan does not even appear to allow me to see if my TV has the capability and as far as setting up the Guide Plus is concerned I can't select my Sky box from the list of models as there is no list!, I just seem to be going round in circles.
    I put in a retail copy of a film Region 2 and the only thing that appears on the screen is the message "no title"

I feel I have (obviously?) not connected this up correctly even though I followed the instructions in the manual.
    I have a Hitachi TV (8yrs old), a Sky digital box and a video recorder.

I have emailed the Pioneer Support site but have had no response so far.
    Any advice anyone? :lease:
    Thanks very much in advance

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    You can get to the progressive scan setting by going back to the "Initial Setup". (Press Home Menu and select initial Setup.) Then select "Video in/out settings" where you can switch the Component Videop Out between interlaced and progressive. Note however, that this only changes the output from the component connection. It has no effect if you are just connecting the DVD to your TV using a SCART lead - SCART does not support progressive scan. (If you have an 8 year old Hitachi TV then I doubt very much that it would have component connections on it.) If it makes you feel any better I have a TV that does support PS and actually find that the picture is no better and prefer to use interlaced.

For the screen type do you mean widescreen (16:9) vs square (4:3) or switching between plasma, CRT, etc?

I cannot help with the Guide+ setup as I don't even have my 530 connected to a TV arial (I only have Sky) so cannot use it.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have a go without the VCR connected at all, and use a Composite/RGB scart on the TV. With an 8-year old TV prog.scan is unlikely.

I found Pioneer helpful on the phone.
    Number is 01753 789 789 and ask for Technical Support.

4. thickorwhat

thickorwhat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to you both for the advice. I messed around again last night and got a wee bit further but still not working properly although I could record and play back both on the hard drive and disc :thumbsup: .

Telephoned Pioneer and "Richard" was very helpfull; first checking all the connections were correct (they were not !) and then guiding me through the initial set up (which I had already done). At the moment it is downloading GuidePlus so we will see what happens next then it's back to the manual for the next stage.

My VHS is not connected though but once I am sure everything else is ok I will have a go at connecting that to the system as the main reason I bought this model was so I could copy my collection of VHS tapes.
    My TV is too old for progressive scan but I can live without that.
    Thanks again.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you've got a spare scart on the TV connect the VHS to that and treat it as a separate entity. Connecting 'through' things can create problems.