Pioneer DVR 530 connections

HHGTTG

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a new Pioneer DVD 530H HDD recorder and have it connected to my 12+yr old Sony TV using a Scart socket on the back of the TV marked, amongst others, as an RGB input.

My DVD recorder's output on AV1/TV is currently set to 'composite video' and I am not all that impressed by the quality of the picture of the inbuilt analogue tuner or recordings made using SP.

I know, from the menu, that I can change the output to 'RGB' for better quality, but the users' manual states that one can lose the picture if the TV is not RGB compatible and if that is the case one will have to do a reset of the Recorder back to factory defaults which will mean the loss off all scanned channels and downloaded EPG data etc. although you won't lose any stored programmes on the HDD.

I just have some doubts as to whether my TV will accept an RGB input without losing the output from my new toy and thereby having to start all over again?
Any thoughts on this matter before I do the switch?

:confused:

I have the same kit as you and set it to RGB the picture quality is great

Switch the 530 to RGB.
If you have a problem press TV/DVD on the 530 remote.
In DVD mode you will get RGB, but TV mode forces the 530 to composite.

A consequence of this is that even if you have set the 530 to RGB, you will still get composite if the TV/DVD mode is set to TV. It must be DVD to get RGB out.

eddyad said:
Switch the 530 to RGB.
If you have a problem press TV/DVD on the 530 remote.
In DVD mode you will get RGB, but TV mode forces the 530 to composite.

A consequence of this is that even if you have set the 530 to RGB, you will still get composite if the TV/DVD mode is set to TV. It must be DVD to get RGB out.

A bit confused. :confused: I will be in DVD mode in order to get to the set up menu won't I? Then I go into it and 'AV out' etc and scroll down to select RGB. When I did this earlier today, I pressed 'Enter' and a warning came on screen saying something about RGB non-availability and did I want to continue - I chickened out at this staged.
Surely, assuming I went ahead and had trouble, pressing TV/DVD would just get be back to my TV's tuner? Would then pressing TV/DVD again resolve any problems then?

Sorry for being so thick but it's an age problem and nerves!
:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom