Pioneer DVR 530 connection to TV and STB

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HHGTTG, Sep 25, 2005.

1. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    How many of you out there have use the diagram/s in the recorder's instruction booklet to connect, specifically, a Freeview STB to the recorder and then the TV?

The booklet shows:

Scart connection from Freeview STB> DVR's input (AV2, I think)

DVR's AV1 Scart >TV's Scart input. This appears to be daisy chained?

Is this the only way, as I thought that I could just substitute my current VCR with a DVR recorder, which is wired quite differently:-

Freeview STB (Scart marked 'to TV') > TV's input

Freeview STB (Scart marked 'to VCR'). > VCR's input (Line1).

Surely the overall operability of the two machines is not that different, really?

:(

2. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Daisy chain them as per the instructions in the book. What's the problem?

3. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    There is no problem it is just that I was reading elsewhere, on a lesser AV forum and by someone who'd done extensive testing and reviewing on the 'old' Pioneer 520, that in his opinion, the instructions did not give the most logical set-up for that DVD recorder and was wondering, unless I download the user's manual again, what the differences were and whether, in fact, there was a better system of connecting a TV, DVR and Freeview box together?

As I indicated, why could I not just substitute my VCR with the DVD, as is?
    :)

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Do it any way you like if it works. Even by a scart switch box if necessary. I have a STB connected to a vcr by one scart socket and the STB scart outlet to TV connected to the TV AV3 socket which is S-Video/Composite.
    Doesn't give RGB this way but I don't care.

5. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is the main problem. If you use the STB VCR output you will not get RGB.

I have a Freeview STB connected to Sky+ connected to Pioneer 530 connected to TV. RGB throughout.

6. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phantom, You say your connections are RGB thruout so can you give me some advice. I now have (just got SKY+) and TOSH RDXS34. At the mo I think the TV goes to TOSH AV1 and then AV2 goes to SKY+ AV1. This means that I have to have the TOSH set to SATMON every time I want to watch SKY. But now that I can record direct to SKY+ can I connect differently?

Can I connect TV direct to SKY and then if i want to record to TOSH connect VCR scart on SKY+ to TOSH ( or will I lose on recording quality as VCR scart is not RGB is that correct?)

7. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Martin, you are correct. The VCR output on Sky+ will not give RGB out. It will, however pass through an RGB signal going in the VCR socket.

8. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phantom,

So if I want to transfer something from SKY+ to TOSH (and get a better quality recording)then I should leave my connections as they are?

But the downside is that using this order I will have to use the SATMON button for SKY to passthrough each time? This is a pain for me because I have a PANNY tv which will NOT autoswitch to satellite channel. When you turn it on it comes on terrestrial channel. So before you turn it on I have to make sure TOSH has SATMON switched off otherwise it will not switch Tv to SKY. But if I turn tv on and then select SATMON it switched to SKY!!

I have spoken to Panasonic about this and they say that some of their models of TV it is not possible to set it to switch direct to SKY.

9. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This SATMON thing sounds a pain, I am glad I bought the Pioneer. My Panasonic tv comes switches on to its analogue tuner. When I switch the Sky box on the tv changes to it.

10. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused. So with your recorder if you want to watch SKY do you just leave it in standby? and then when you switch it on does this then override SKY?

Also you say when you switch your Panny on it comes on to Terrestrial like mine but then you say you switch sky box on? do you not leave it on anyway?

11. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I leave the Sky box in standby when not in use. If I leave it on, when I switch on the tv I have to switch Sky off & on to get the tv to switch to Sky. Yours seems to work the same. I have a Panasonic PF10 tv.

The DVD recorder has no effect on this action whether on or in standby and always passes through the signal. It only interrupts Sky when I select something on the recorder, Guide+, disc manager etc.

12. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phantom, I've never put my SKYbox into standby so perhaps I'll try that tonite and see if that switches it over (although with this SATMON thing it may not work anyway!!)

With SKY+ though if you leave it in standby will it still record?

13. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, with my setup I can put Sky+ in standby and have it record 2 programs and at the same time watch or record freeview. The signal is still passed through.