1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-520H recording modes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dknight, Oct 19, 2004.

1. dknight

dknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all, my forst post here.
    I am looking for a dvd-recorder and comparing Toshiba rd-xs32 vs Pioneer 520h.
    There is something I do not understand about bitrate choice and recording modes for Pioneer: in the manual I find mn32 mode (equivalent to fine mode)
    sets audio mode to pcm (1.5 mbps), so video mode should be around 8mbps; this gives a recording time of 60 minutes.
    Closest mode is then mn31, where audio mode is dolby digital (256 kbps I assume, not specified in the manual), and recording time is 65 minutes.
    I then conclude that for mode mn31 the video bitrate is in the range of 9 mbps, giving a better video quality compared to mode mn32 or fine.
    Can anybody owning the Pioneer dvr-520h confirm this and eventually let me know exactly what is the video bitrate for modes mn31 and mn32.
    Thanks in advance.

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Yes mode 31 does give a higher bit rate on video recording. For the best possible picture go for mode 31, for the best possible audio go for mode 32.

Regards

Philip

3. dknight

dknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. It's strange Pioneer does not allow a 60 minutes recording mode with audio in Dolby Digital and maximum video bitrate.
    Do you know what is the video bitrate for mn31 mode? I'd like to compare it
    with maximum Toshiba rd-xs32 video bitrate (9.2mbps) for the choice of the recorder.
    Thanks again.

4. heiqqi

heiqqi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. dknight

dknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link. Comparing then the Pioneer modes (max video bit rate at 8.1mbps) versus the Toshiba modes (max at 9.2) and, more important, after the review done by grumpy42 I finally made my choice (Toshiba rd-xs32).