pioneer dvr-520h, Freezing pic on hdd playback

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Palmbeach, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Palmbeach

Palmbeach
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have had pio for 2 months now and delighted, However on 3 occasions I have experienced a `freezing` of playback from hdd. This can last for 5 mins or so before continuing as normal. The picture seems to `pause` and `judder/jitter`.
    The manual says that
    `If the picture freezes and the front panel and remote control buttons stop working`
    then
    `press the front panel standby/on button to switch the power off, theswitch back on and restart playback. If the power fails to switch off, press and hold the standby/on button for 10 secs untill the power switches off`

I do not get the remote and panel freezing, just the pic!
    So is this a known fault, even though their q&a symptoms are not quite the same as mine.

Could this be a hdd fault?
    Does the hdd need a re-format?
    Is this a common/normal occurrance?
    Anyone else had this?

I have emailed a question to Pioneer, But as on prior occassions, I know that they are not the most rapid of repliers. (is that a word?)

Just a note of reassurance to those others who have a pio, I am so pleased with my machine, that even if this is a common/known fault I am prepared to live with it. I wouldnt part with it for anything, But, obviously, I would prefer it fixed

2. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It sounds like bad blocks on the HDD to me. Not seen anything like that on my 420. I would have expected all these units to be able to cope with bad blocks and automatically disable them once encountered. Personally I would RMA it, hard drive errors will only get worse over time if it is a fault. If it happened more frequently U could check if it was the HDD by recording to DVD only for a few days to see if it goes away.

3. anna the dub

anna the dub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I thought this had happened to me once and I got all into a panic thinking my HD was packing up. However, I then noticed that the counter was continuing on as normal, while the picture was juddering. I then realised that it was not the HD but, in fact, the broadcast from sky that I had recorded , skips and jumps and all. Could this be what is happening with yours? Not the HD but another crap signal from Sky?

4. Palmbeach

Palmbeach
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, its not sky, don`t have it. But thank-you for your suggestion. Have you had any instance of this problem re-occurring?
    The recording I first noticed it on was an `emmerdale`, recorded from the analogue tuner, the next was a recording of `life begins at 40`, same tuner. There was another time, which I can`t recall, but I do remember that it would have been from the tuner.
    I must remember that when it happens again, to take note of the counter readings, too see if it continues to count whilst the problem is there.

I have a fear that it may be the hard drive, but the 520 is only 2 months old, so the warranty is still good. I shall wait, however, for a reply from Pioneer, before I start having a hissy fit.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try calling them and ask for Technical Support. I've found them helpful on the phone. The number is in the manual.

6. anna the dub

anna the dub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

No, I have not had any reoccurance. I have had my 420 for 5 months now and no problems at all. Sorry, I can't be of help