pioneer dvr 5100h dvd +80gb hd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alwyn, Aug 15, 2003.

1. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Reported in Home cinema choice(oct edition)as priced at £550 launch in sept.This makes the Panasonic range both past and future look expensive

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
  3. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes,I see what they say but hcc quite clearly state what I reported.Who has got it right?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Until we see a review we don't know that. Everyone was saying how the Toshiba RX3 look fantastic value prior to release - which indeed it still is - but at the expense of an RGB in socket. Still time will tell - certainly an impressive price at first glances.

Specs for the 310 (model without the HDD) are here:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr310/index.htm

Specs for the 510 (with the HDD) are here:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr510/index.htm

The 510 DV Output looks interesting!

5. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

Is RAM Better or worse or no difference to -RW for timeshift/recording editing etc...

Any views?

Mel

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    On units without a HDD (such as the basic Pioneer) then DVD-RAM is much better for timeshifting due to the nature of the beast - Random Access - which allows Timeshift. DVD-RW great advantage is compatibility, i.e. if you want to share a re-writeable disk with your mates.

On units with the HDD then there is not that much difference as Timeslip is done using the HDD.

7. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Will this record direct from a video source to a disc, or will it first have to record on the HDD?

8. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Its called chase play(timeslip) The spec avland are giving is for the us model

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Unless they've changed the format from the Japanese units then it will be able to record directly to either the DVDR or HDD (same as the HS2 and RX3 although the latter can't go directly to DVD-R).

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Yeah I just saw it at the bottom of the screen hence my edit to my post. I hope it keeps the DV Output - if it does I may buy this machine to complement my HS2 (subject to review of course, what the E100 is like and RGB in).

11. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    What a dilema, just when I thought I'd decided on a Panny HS2 then this comes along.

Nightmare

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Minimal difference from a functional point of view. The Pioneer will have a few bells and whistles that the HS2 doesn't (i.e. ability to record on DVD-RW etc) but then lacks somethings the HS2 has (ability to use RAM disk just like the HDD etc) but the core functionality is the same, i.e. the ability to make the best quality (editted) recordings onto DVD-R. If the Pioneer truely is cheap as HCC suggest then it may be worth waiting - although I somewhat suspect that it won't be that cheap given Pioneer's track record of high quality at a price. And the HS2 is cheap at the moment £620 from www.prcdirect.co.uk

It may also be worth checking that the device does have RGB in (the Pioneer DVDR7000 didn't but is a very old machine now). I'm sure it will have but the fact Toshiba think they can release a model without it does raise doubts.

All the same I'd wait for a week or so and see if more details appear. But I would also suggest that lack of details/pre-ordering on the web at the precise moment in time mean October is more likely than September (same for the JVC).

13. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    £620 for a discontinued model or £650(and thats the max rrprice) for a new model well I know what I would pick

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Where is it advertised for £650? The last press release I got from Pioneer (albeit June) said "under £1000". The only place I see it advertised is on the site listed above - and there it is £699 (still a very good price) and it's not due until November.

Even though we don't know anything about it yet? As I say we don't even ***know*** if it has RGB in yet. The specs on the AV Land website look very impressive - if it matches them then it will be good value at £699 - but will still don't have any firm details on it yet.

What's certain is, given a November release, it is going head to head with the E100. Thus if you want a DVDR now the HS2 is still the best option - if your prepared to wait 3 months then it will be between the E100 and 510.

15. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry should be £699 see www.wmecltd.co.uk.previously mentioned on this thread by garydhooper
    have you seen the price that avland are asking for the panasonic H100?

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Yeah but AV Land always change their prices dramatically from their listed ones on new unannounced models. Besides they are not that cheap at the best of times (although give a very good service) - they want £350 for the E50 when you can get it for £275 on most sites.

17. falkirkjock

falkirkjock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, please excuse my ignorance, but I have (probably a stupid!) question regarding RGB I/O on the Pioneer 5100 and the Panasonic hs2:

The Panasonic is described on the AVLand site as having 2 Scarts, with full RGB In/Out. The Pioneer is described as having 2 Scarts, 1 RGB.

My question is this - Does the Pioneer accept RGB (from say a cable box) for recording, but not output the picture as RGB to the TV?

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The AVLand spec is from the US description so may not be the same here. That said Pioneer have only released one DVDR and that couldn't record in RGB. Technology has moved on but there is also the issue of 'cost-cutting', i.e. as happened to the Toshiba RX3, whereby the RGB in was left out. We'll have to wait and see. IMHO any recorder without RGB is a bit of a dud (but that is based on my requirements of recording from Sky/DTV).

19. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Message from Kingsley,(avland) yesterday informing me that the pioneer 5100h is now due for delivery in sept/oct and that the price is £699.95 to order now. He further confirmed that the 5100 has both rgb in and out via scart plus it has component out with prog. scan (he thinks only in ntsc