1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-5100 or Panny HS2 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by squancey, Sep 25, 2003.

1. squancey

squancey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to purchase a DVD Recorder in the next couple of months, for the primary purpose of recording TV from a Sky+ box.

Although I already have a DVD burner in my PC and I am quite good at ripping, editing and encoding DVD's, I would like a HDD model as I understand editing out adverts etc is easier or more convenient.

Therefore I seem to be left with a few choices of which I am currently considering the Pioneer DVR-5100 or Panny HS2.

I realise the HS2 is an older model but hopefully it will come down in price more in the next couple of months. I am not really bothered about the SD card of the Panny E100 and it's other whistle and bells to warrant the extra money.

There has been a bit of debate on this forum whether the Pioneer DVR-5100 has RGB In which is important for the Sky+ feed, but I found the following link which seems to say it does

http://www.homecinemaheaven.com/prod_info/dvd/dvr5100.htm

Anyway if anybody has any other suggestions or some of my assumptions are wrong please feel free to point me in the right direction.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    Can we trust that their ad is correct ? They can't spell "experience" so they might have got other details wrong ;)

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,210
    The 5100 has been confirmed by Pioneer as NOT having RGB in - so unless Pioneer have got their own machine's specifications incorrect this remains the case (and this COULD be the case). It does have RGB out, like all decent DVD players, for playback of DVD-Videos. Unfortunately this is a current trend with some Japanese companies (Toshiba and Pioneer) who clearly haven't researched the European (UK) market sufficiently to know the importance of RGB in given such sources as Sky digiboxes and Freeview adaptors.

IMHO the Panasonic HS2 is therefore the better option for recording from Sky - especially as it's going to be £100 cheaper than the 5100 - and the only exception would be if you needed re-writeable disks to be playable in an upstairs DVD player (in which case the -RW disks would be more useful than RAM).

4. squancey

squancey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Rasczak.

Actually, I think I will wait to see if the Pioneer does have RGB before I finally decide.

Another thing to consider is that I currently live in Hong Kong (but I am on my way back to the UK soon) and the E100 is on sale here for less than 700 quid and that is in the high street stores, so maybe the E100 may come into the equation if I can find it for even less.

5. squancey

squancey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0