1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR-5100/3100 & Verbatim 4x DVD-RWs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by martin427, Jun 8, 2004.

1. martin427

martin427

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both of these units have problems with Verbatim 4 speed DVD-RW disks (reorder #: 43285). This is what Pioneer UK say:

"We have now had more information back from our Japanese collogues, the DVR-3100 or DVR-5100 units can play back finalized DVD-RW 4x disks but they can not record to them."

"As of yet we do not have a firmware update to enable the drives to use these new disks and it would appear that a firmware update may not be produced for these units it improve the compatibility with this type of disk."

"We have an understanding with the media manufacturers that DVD-RW 2x media will be made available for the foreseeable future, at least the next 3-4 years."

:(

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    The 5100 will certainly record and play back onto Verbatim 4 x DVD -R discs.
    You can copy a 1 hour HDD recording onto these in 15 minutes.
    I have not tried the -RW version, however.
    The new machines arriving in July apparently copy up to 48X.
    I guess these will need 48X discs, or am I wrong ?

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    No - it will be sometime before DVDRs reach 48x speed (16x speed is regarded as the current foreseeable maximum speed)! By 48x speed they are refering to the time it would take to copy the programme file to the disk as opposed to watch it. If you have a 1hr show recorded in the 6hr mode (for example) then the file is only going to be around 750mb. The time it takes to burn to a 2x, 4x or 8x DVD-R compared to the actually viewing time of the programme is the speed of the dub. This is in contrast to the fixed data transfer speeds that define the 1x, 2x, 4x (etc) that we are used to on a PC.

4. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Martin427 was making the point that the 5100 does not record with 4 x RW discs. (which have not long been released) Presumably this will mean it doesn't record onto 8 x speed -R discs also.
    The 5100 was released to record onto x 2 RW and x 4 R. (Before the release of x 4 RW and x 8 R)
    Regards

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    If this turns out to be true, i.e. if Pioneer don't release a firmware update, it is a pretty poor show IMHO. To suggest that people who have paid £500+ for a device for which may have to live with write-once only disks in a few years is terrible. It is 3100 owners who will suffer the most though as DVD-RW is their primary media.