Pioneer DVR-420H - Wobbly Picture On L1

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by liamdens, Jul 5, 2005.

1. liamdens

liamdens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Have a new Pioneer DVR-420H and a new JVC Widescreen AV-32R4S. The problem I have found is this:

I have Sky plugged into the DVD Recorder's L1 scart input. Sky and DVD are set to RGB. Watching Sky on the TV is fine, very good picture. Viewing Sky on L1 is showing intermittent wobbly pictures. Best way I can describe it is if you trickled water over the front of the screen you would see a similar distortion, vertical and horizontal lines are the easiest areas to spot. I first came across this after recording the end of Live8 and noticed the distortion on playback the next day.

Last night I switched to L1/Sky ready to record later that night and I saw it again, flicking over to analogue to see if it was on analogue (it was not) and then back again and it was gone?

I dont think it is the TV as I have watched DVD's, analogue TV and Sky (via pass through) with no problems.

Any ideas anyone? It is new and I dont want to be lumbered with a faulty product but it will be difficult to show an engineer an intermittent fault?

Cheers

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. Check the 420 video-out type matches the TV scart its AV1 is plugged into (needs to be an RGB scart). On pass-through the AV1 output matches the AV1 input regardless of set-up because it goes straight through. When the machine is powered up the AV1 output goes to the video-out setting, which needs to match AV2 video-in for pass-through and playback to work correctly.

2. Try pressing the TV/DVD button on the 420 remote (top right area) and make sure it is showing DVD mode in front display or on TV screen.

3. liamdens

liamdens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB for all. Watching the picture non-L1, i.e. pass-through, is very clean and no wobbles.

It is and, in fact, must be as I only see the problem when looking at the output of L1 (Sky) on the DVD Recorder "channel", i.e. previewing the channel I am about to set the timer for.

It's very annoying as I thought I had it all set-up sweet after your last comment about the pass-through on the front of the DVD (and that is still a minor gripe that it is not on the remote).

It may be the TV as that is new also but I dont think so as watching Sky on pass-through, analogue TV and watching DVD's is fine :confused:

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Other than trying all the links in Composite just to see if it happens, then I can't think of anything else - sorry.
    Try Pioneer Tech Support - the phone no. is on the website - I've found them very helpful.

5. liamdens

liamdens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do. Cheers.

I have a small list of things to try first.

First I have just changed the co-ax route. It was going into sky then up into the dvd before going into the TV. I just changed it so the co-ax goes into the dvd and then TV removing the Sky co-ax altogether. It may be interference there.

I could then turn RF2 power off on the Sky box (I pipe Sky to another room) in case it is that doing it.