Pioneer DVR 420H - Spare Part - Help!

timmoore46

Standard Member
Reaction score
This brilliant recorder's DVR drive no longer records ! :eek::eek:

I'm an electronics engineer and can easily fit another but where can I easily get another drive?

The local Pioneer fixit depot doesn't answer their phone ! Grrr...

Any thoughts very welcome.

:)

Tim

i have had one of these priced up before and they are not cheap!:(

afaik it's just a regular Pioneer DVD writer drive - something like a DVR107 or DVR108 which were pretty cheap when they were still current.

afaik it's just a regular Pioneer DVD writer drive - something like a DVR107 or DVR108 which were pretty cheap when they were still current.

I'll see if I can lay my hands on one of those!

(update:- found a dvr108 and got it on order. :) )

Many thanks,

: )))

Tim

Hope it works....no guarantees!!!

Hello all,

Bad news afraid, the drive in the recorder is not the same as a regular DVR-108 drive, it is a customised drive and to replace the drive you would need to have a service remote control, a CPRM setup disk and another customised drive, and you aren’t going to get your hands on any of those.

One glimmer of hope is that you 'may' be able to clean the pickup in the original drive if you take the top of it and use a cotton wool bud soaked in a drop of isopropyl alcohol.

If that doesn’t help then you may find that you can swap the pickup from the new drive into the original unit, but that is of cause if the pickup its self is the reason for the fault....

And it goes without saying that mucking around with it is dangerous and voids any warranty you have, if you muck it up none of the Pioneer service centres will touch it with a barge pole

Hello all,

Bad news afraid, the drive in the recorder is not the same as a regular DVR-108 drive, it is a customised drive and to replace the drive you would need to have a service remote control, a CPRM setup disk and another customised drive, and you aren’t going to get your hands on any of those.

One glimmer of hope is that you 'may' be able to clean the pickup in the original drive if you take the top of it and use a cotton wool bud soaked in a drop of isopropyl alcohol.

If that doesn’t help then you may find that you can swap the pickup from the new drive into the original unit, but that is of cause if the pickup its self is the reason for the fault....

And it goes without saying that mucking around with it is dangerous and voids any warranty you have, if you muck it up none of the Pioneer service centres will touch it with a barge pole

Ah ! That is VERY useful info! Do you know of any responsive Pioneer service centres ? The local one doesn't even answer their phone!

:)

Tim

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom